Chapter 18:

Ch. 18

That week went by a little too fast for my liking. It was now the weekend, and mom and I were on our way to the hospital to talk to the doctors to set a date for my surgery. Mom reached over and put her hand on my leg and patted it. “It’s going to be okay, Pey. The surgery will be fine.”

I looked away from the window and towards my mom. “Thanks mom, but that doesn’t stop me from freaking out.”

“I know.” She put her hand back on the steering wheel as we turned into the parking lot.

A lump caught in my throat as I got out of moms jeep and started towards the door. Thankfully, mom did all the talking for me when we got inside. I don’t think I could have talked. Yeah, sure, I’m this tough girl; but put my anywhere near a hospital and I will become the biggest wimp you’ve ever seen. I’ve never been a fan of them, for some reason. Not that anyone is, but you get my point.

“We have an appointment with Dr. Sai.”

My mom told the receptionist at the front desk, and then she gave her our names so the lady could search for us in the database.

“Ah yes, he’ll be right out with you in a moment. You’ll love Dr. Sai. Almost all of his patients will tell you that. He’s also very thorough in his explanations, and his surgeries. He makes sure you know every little detail that will happen to make sure you’re getting the right attention and exactly what you need. He cares so much for his patients. He treats them like he would probably treat any of his family members. The same with the patient’s families. They all love him as well, because he is more than welcome to inform you on how things work but not exactly what is going on with the patient so that he doesn’t violate any privacy codes. Of course, unless you’re on the papers or anything.”

Mom smiled at her and nodded. “Thank you so much. That makes me feel a little more at ease, knowing we have someone like him.”

The lady smiled back. “It’s my pleasure.”

We walked over to the chairs and waited for our turn to talk to Dr. Sai. I was antsy and couldn’t stop bouncing in my seat. My phone buzzed at me about five minutes later, momentarily distracting me. I looked down and smiled when I saw it was David.

Hey, just wanted to see how everything was going. Just thinking about you and making sure you’re alright. <3

I had to smile at that. I replied back to him.

Thanks. :) I’m freaking out but it sounds like we have a good doctor. I’ll tell you more later.

Before I hit send, I looked up at mom. “Is it okay if David came over tonight? Maybe just for a movie night or something?”

“Sure sweetie. I have to run into work for a couple hours anyway.” I frowned at her but she went on before I could say anything. “It’s only for a couple hours. I promise. I won’t be gone longer than two.”

I bit my tongue from saying anything. She already knew how much I hated that she worked so much. It was like this new job didn’t want her to have a life outside of it. Instead, I looked back down at my phone and finished the text.

You want to come over for a movie night or something? Maybe just hang out? Mom’s gotta go to work, I guess.

I hit send and waited for his reply. It didn’t ever take him long, and within a minute he had replied back.

Sure, I’d love that! Just tell me a time. XOXO

I thought about that. Looking at the clock, it was 11:30 in the morning. I had a whole thought process going through my mind. How long we would be talking to the doctors? Whether or not we went and got lunch afterwards, which I hoped we did because I was starving right now.