Epilogue

Epilogue:

~David’s POV – 1 yr. later~

“Ugh! Babe, will you go see why Alex is crying this time?” Peyton wined with her back to me. “She’s probably teething again.”

Poor kid has been teething for a while now. She’s already got one of her front teeth, but they just seem to keep coming. Neither Peyton nor myself have gotten much sleep the past couple nights because of it. I groaned and climbed out of bed and went into the nursery.

“Hey baby girl, what’s wrong?” I cooed and scooped her up out of her crib. “Shh…I’m here.” I rocked her gently back and forth while I walked out to the kitchen of our apartment to get out one of her teething rings. I didn’t smell anything, so I was assuming that’s what was wrong. “Here you go.” I handed her the ring that was cool from being in the fridge.

She gladly took it from me into her teeny little hands and popped it into her mouth. Tear tracks stained her cheeks and it broke my heart. I hated when she was in pain and there wasn’t anything I could do to fix it. I laid her down on a blanket in the living room while I searched the cabinets for the children’s Tylenol. It was nowhere in sight. “Babe, where’s the children’s Tylenol?” I asked Peyton, sitting on the edge of the bed.

“Cabinet.” She said and turned away from me to go back to sleep.

I rolled my eyes, “No kidding. Which one?”

“Bathroom medicine cabinet.” She groaned. “Now stop talking. I want more sleep.”

I chuckled and leaned forward, placing a kiss on the back of her head. I walked into the bathroom and thankfully I found what I was looking for. I went back out to the kitchen and grabbed out one of the spoons and walked back into the living room to where Alex was. I sat down on the floor next to her and gently pulled her onto my lap. “Are you going to be a good girl for daddy and take this?” I asked as I poured the medicine on the spoon. She watched my face while I did this. Her big brown eyes never leaving mine. “Here you go, open wide.” I made the motion myself and she copied me.

Alex squirmed and made a face after getting a taste of the medicine, but at least it all went down and not all over me like she did to Peyton. “Good girl.” I smiled down at her, causing her to smile back up at me before sticking the teething ring back into her mouth.

She babbled up at me and I knew it wouldn’t be too long before she started saying normal words mixed with her baby talk. I was so excited for that to happen. I’ve been trying to teach her how to say “dada” since she’s already becoming a daddy’s girl. After babbling a little longer, she yawned and stared at me with tired eyes. “Go to sleep, princess. You need all the sleep you can get. You turn one today and you have a lot of people coming to see you.”  I moved her thick blond hair out of her face while smiling down at her. “I can’t believe it’s already been that long.”

A few minutes later, she snuggled deeper into my arms and fell into a deep sleep. I walked her back into the nursery and put her to bed before going back to bed myself. Peyton was once again knocked out on the bed and she looked so peaceful. I smiled and curled up behind my lovely wife and baby momma.

~~~

A few hours later, I woke up and looked to see that Peyton was no longer beside me. I turned to the clock and saw that it was ten in the morning. Welp, two more hours before the party started. I walked out and saw Pey in the kitchen making some breakfast. That was scary. I walked in and leaned against the door frame. “Since when do you cook?” I teased.

“Lord! Don’t scare me like that!” She jumped and put her hand over her heart. “And I’ll have you know that I am perfectly capable of making pancakes.” She stuck her tongue out at me.