Chapter 21:

Ch. 21

“Thanks for coming tonight.” I told Josh as we walked towards the parking lot. The fair was closing for the night. “I had fun.”

“Yeah she did.” Ally said, pushing me closer to Josh. I basically fell into his side, making him have to catch me.

I back handed her and sent a death glare her way after I regained my balance. She just grinned back at me and winked, making me roll my eyes. “Ignore her.” I told him. “Anyway; maybe we could hang again, sometime.”

He nodded and smiled down at me. “Sure. That’d be cool. You’ve got my number, so feel free to hit me up whenever.” We had come to a stop, so he put his hands in his pockets, standing awkwardly.

I cleared my throat, “Well, we better get going. I’ll see you…when I see you.”

“Sounds good.” He nodded and waved to us as he went towards his car.

We walked our way back to Ally’s car, and I was actually smiling. This was ridiculous. I felt like a little kid again, with not a care in the world. Maybe this dating thing was really fun. I’ve been missing out for, like, my whole life! Once we got to the car, we all piled in, me in the backseat. “Well, that went well, I think.” Ally smirked in her rearview mirror at me.

“I’m sure you do.” I said, trying to make the smile go away. He was just a friend. I mean…I just got my heart broken. I wasn’t ready for a relationship again yet. Besides, as I just said, He’s just a friend.

Ally backed out of the spot and started to say something, but Julie cut her off. “Ally, you know their just friends. I mean, she just met the guy; give her a break. Guys can be friends without there being anything between them.”

Ally gave Julie a ‘really’ look. “Seriously.” I laughed quietly, shaking my head at them. I swear, sometimes I wonder how they can even be friends at all with the way the act. It almost seemed impossible.

Julie was oblivious at the moment, but when she realized the car was quiet, she looked at Ally and jumped. “What!?” She almost yelled. “It’s true!”

“Mhmm…maybe way back when.” Ally stated. “These days, one can say that they are friends, but you know somewhere deep down one of them falls for the other.”

“Not always.” Julie stuck to her word.

Ally shrugged, “Okay. We’ll see how this goes.”

“Umm, hello! Guys! I’m still here you know. And I can tell you that we are just friends. Neither one of us feels more for the other.” I pointed out. “Yeah, sure, I had fun with him tonight, but he’s just a friend. There’s nothing there.”

Ally turned and looked at me for a second, giving me a look that said I was full of crap. “Yeah, that’s why you can’t stop smiling.”

“Ugh!” I groaned, leaning into the seat. “I am smiling because I had a fun night. It has nothing to do with him. If it were just the three of us I would have been smiling just as much.”

“Mhmm.” It was useless. She had one thing on her mind and there was no changing it.

Thankfully, I didn’t have to change it, because she just pulled into my driveway. Julie hopped out so that I could climb out, considering Ally’s car was a two door. “Thanks chick.”

“No problem.” She smiled at me. “What time is your surgery tomorrow?”

“Umm…” I looked around; thinking. “Eleven in the morning. But I don’t know how long it’ll take.”