Chapter 22:

Ch. 22

~David POV~

I definitely did not expect Peyton’s mom to call me. To be honest, I was about to freak out when she said it was her, and not Peyton. Not going to lie, I jumped to conclusions and thought the worst had happened and I was terrified for that to happen. I don’t care if she hated me right now, that didn’t change how I felt about her. That whole dare thing was stupid and it shouldn’t have even happened. I know that she thinks that everything I said was a lie, but it wasn’t. Everything came from my heart. Anyway, I barely got off the phone before I was in my truck, speeding down the road to the hospital. Thankfully I didn’t get pulled over on my way. That wouldn’t have gone over too well.

I barely put my truck in park before I was jumping out and running inside. I realized that I didn’t even know where to go, so I looked around, seeing some lady at a front desk, hoping she could help. I walked over to her and cleared my throat so she knew I was there. “Hi. What can I do for you today?” She smiled at me.

“Yeah, uh…my…girlfriend is having open heart surgery today and I wanted to know where to go.”

“Oh, just take this elevator and go to the fourth floor. That’s the surgery floor. Also, here’s this for your parking so you don’t have to pay as much when you leave. Just hand it to the attendant.”

“Thanks.” I nodded and ran to the elevator. I couldn’t stand still at all. I was literally bouncing in place, waiting for the elevator to come. The ding finally came and the doors opened. Of course it couldn’t be empty, and I had to wait for a crowd to come off. It took all of my will power not to just shove past them all and shove them out of the way.

After the last person got off, I ran in and punched the number four button. Then I pressed the ‘door closed’ button until they closed. I swear this was the slowest elevator on this earth. I knew I wouldn’t see her right away since she was in surgery right now, but I just felt like I needed to be there for all of it. Especially if something went wrong. No…I scolded myself. Don’t even think that like that.

Just as the doors opened, I saw a very angry looking Ally, and a sympathetic looking Julie behind her. Ally was standing right in front of the elevator, arms crossed, and some evil glare on her face. “I can’t believe you actually showed your face here. After everything that you did…” She clicked her tongue at me while shaking her head.

Julie put her hand on Ally’s shoulder, “Hey…can we all just get along right now? We’re all here for Peyton. That’s the main thing right now.”

Ally turned around and stared at Julie, “Yeah, but if she was actually coherent then she wouldn’t have asked for him to be here. I’m just watching out for our friend!”

“Al...” Julie started. “Just for now? Just go with it for once?” She sighed and avoided eye contact with her friend, “And, maybe this is her subconscious telling you what she really wants.” Julie said that part quieter. “Have you ever thought of that?”

“Fine! Whatever!” Ally threw her hands up in the air exasperated, but walked back over to the other side of the sound breaker wall and threw herself into a chair. I glanced at Julie and mouthed ‘thank you’ to her. She just narrowed her eyes and went and sat next to Ally. I guess she was the silent killer of the group. The one who would hate you, but you’d never know, because she has that sweet exterior.

I groaned internally and followed where they were all at. That’s when I saw Tim and Audry. I wasn’t at all surprised that Mike wasn’t there; but I was surprised to see Tim. A part of me thought that he would deny all of this was happening, and he wouldn’t show up, but I guess it goes along with having to look good. He had to be there for his wife, as her strong side, or shoulder to cry on, or something. I made sure not to make any eye contact with him, but still took the seat on the opposite side of Audry. “Hey. How’s it going?”