Chapter 39:

Ch. 39

~David POV~

I carried Peyton upstairs and sat her down on my bed. “How about a nice hot shower?”

She nodded. “Sounds perfect.”

“Alright, I’ll be right back.” I walked towards the bathroom and as I was getting closer, Hunter came out looking half asleep.

“What’s with all the yelling?” He rubbed his eyes with the backs of his hands.

I ruffled his hair. “It’s nothing, buddy, just go back to bed.”

He nodded and went back into his room. Poor thing got woken up from everything. He already forced himself to stay awake longer than normal. I walked into the bathroom and turned on the shower, turning the nobs all the way to hot so the water would heat up faster.

When I walked back into the bedroom, Peyton had her legs folded into the sweatshirt as well, and her arms circled around them. She looked so distant, and I noticed a stray tear fall from her eye. It broke my heart to see her like this. It made me want to go and torture Tim the way he had done to her for this long.

“Hey.” I said softly, kneeling down in front of her. She looked down at me and her eyes became guarded.

“I’m sorry.” She said and furiously wiped at her eyes, drying them.

I widened my eyes at her. “For what?”

“For throwing all of my problems at you!” Her emotions got stronger. “I’m acting like such a baby. I can’t stop crying.” She started talking faster and faster. “Ugh! I hate crying! And I used to be this strong person who next to never cried. What is wrong with me? Why am I acting like this now? It’s never bothered me before. Well, it has, but not this bad. I really hate crying!” She wiped furiously at her eyes as the tears kept falling.

“Shh…Shh…” I said and cupped her face in my hands and then kissed her forehead. “It’s okay to cry. You’ve been through a lot and it’s finally catching up to you and cracking your thick wall. It was only a matter of time before that happened.  And, I don’t mind hearing your so called problems. I don’t mind helping you through things no matter what it is. Especially if it’s something like this, and I can help by keeping you away from him. No one should have to go through that alone and burry all of their feelings.”

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “Thanks.”

“Of course. Anything for you, babe, you know that. Now, go get a nice hot shower. I’ll bring you something to go to bed in.”

Peyton nodded and made her way to the bathroom. I turned around and headed to my drawers and dug out a pair of basketball shorts that had drawstrings in them and my grey Twenty One Pilots shirt. I walked back down the hall to the bathroom and knocked on the door. “Peyton?”

No answer, so I slowly opened the door and laid the clothes on the counter. Once back in my room, I paced back and forth, being too wound up to stay still. Today definitely had a lot in store. First, my ex coming and claiming that I was her baby daddy; and now my girlfriend coming to me because her step father is some psychotic crazy lunatic and tried to touch her. Oh, that made me so mad.

I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. Slim arms wrapped around me and hugged me from behind. I smiled, not opening my eyes just yet. I could smell my soap and shampoo and chuckled. “So, you like the scent of that, huh?” I teased, pulling Peyton around in front of me.

“It smells really good.” She blushed and shyly smiled up at me, and then topped it off with a yawn.

I nodded my head towards the bed and smiled, “Come on sleepy head.”