Chapter 36:

Ch. 36

~Peyton POV~ (Backing up a tad)

“I’m pregnant.” Amanda squealed and clapped her hands together with a big wide grin on her face.

“What!?” David yelled. I felt like my knees had just turned to jelly.

Linda choked from the other side of David.

I, on the other hand, was just staring out into the open. I was numb and most of all, I felt a little betrayed. I mean, I don’t know why, considering we haven’t been together for very long, but still. I didn’t know that he was one of those guys who slept around. I should have known, though.

“Isn’t this exciting?!” Amanda said and walked over to David, throwing her arms around his neck, completely ignoring me.

I just sat down on the couch, pulling my hand out of David’s. He pushed Amanda away from him. “No. It’s not.” He said and she pulled back some to look at him. “And it’s not mine. I don’t know what you’ve been doing but I know it’s not mine.” A little bit of hope ran through my body when he said that. Maybe she was really just one of those crazy lunatic girls who got knocked up and then chose who she wanted to use as the father.

She stuck out her bottom lip and pouted. “Of course it is, silly. You’re the only one I’ve slept with any time recently. I’m at least three months.” And just like that, my little bit of hope was depleted. I couldn’t take anymore, and it wasn’t even my news. 

“I think I’m going to be sick.” I said, and took off out of the living room.

Every inch of me wanted to just walk out the front door and leave, but the better part of me said that I should stay and let him explain. I couldn’t just overreact on him like this. Instead, I ran into the bathroom and turned on the water. I rinsed off my face and then looked in the mirror and put my hands on the counter. “Why am I reacting this way? Did I really think he had never slept with anyone before?” I asked myself out loud. “Just because I haven’t, doesn’t mean that no one else in this world hasn’t. At the same time I’m not about to go support him in knocking up a girl while being a senior in high school.”  Or will I? What kind of person would that make me to not support him, even if he was stupid to let it happen? Then it hit me. I mean, maybe it really wasn’t his. We’ve been together all of summer and the ending of junior year, and she wasn’t even showing. Surely she had to be further along than that if it were his. Unless…no. he wouldn’t do that to me, would he?

There was a knock at the door. “Peyton, honey? Are you okay?” It was Linda.

I turned off the water and opened up the door. “Hi.” I said. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“You sure?” She asked, looking a little shocked herself.

I nodded, not trusting my voice at the moment. I turned off the light and walked out of the bathroom and leaned against the wall. Linda walked over to me and wrapped me into a hug. “I’m so sorry you had to hear that in there.” She said. “If it means anything to you, I’m pretty sure it’s not going to be his.”

“How can you be so sure?” I didn’t mean to ask it, but it slipped out. I didn’t want to doubt him, but I was only human.

She didn’t think anything of it. “Because I know my son, and I know he’s a little more responsible than that. I also know Amanda and she will con anyone into doing whatever she wants so that she can get something out of it. She always has. If she didn’t get anything out of it, she didn’t want it.”

“What do you think she wants out of something like this, then?” I asked.

Linda shrugged, "I mean, the only thing I can think of would be money and baby things. She knows how David is, and knows that he wouldn’t leave her out there all by herself and she’ll play him until she gets what she wants.” She reached up and wiped off my face. “No need for these tears.” She smiled warmly at me. “David loves you, I can see it in his eyes, and wouldn’t do anything to jeopardize your relationship.”