Chapter 42:

Ch. 42

~Peyton POV~

“It all comes down to this.” Will said, grabbing the football and getting into a stance. “This will determine who wins.”

“We’ve got you!” Hunter said. “No worries there.”

“Hey! Don’t jinx us, now!” I laughed, gently shoving Hunter to the side, causing him to laugh, too.

“You’re just saying that because you know we’re better.” David teased me.

I snorted and rolled my eyes. “Oh, is that so? I’m sorry, who has had the lead this whole entire time?”

“Touché.” David laughed, and I smirked at him.

“That’s what I thought, babe.” I said.

Will looked between us. “Okay, enough talking. Let’s see who really has this.”

With that, he gave David a look, who then ran around Hunter and me and ran down the yard. I matched his pace with my own and stayed by him. Will threw the football and I jumped up into the air and intercepted it and started back down the yard going back the opposite way. “Hunter, are you open?” I called to him.

He looked around, seeing his dad around him. “Nooo!!” He yelled.

I threw it to him anyway, when I saw Will nod his head, knowing he wasn’t about to take the ball from Hunter. I threw it, but it went a little higher than planned that time, since David nudged my arm right before I threw it. Will picked Hunter up and let him catch the ball. “Oh no! He got it before me!” Will whined when he put Hunter down and let him take off.

He chased after him. I jogged a little ways up further and Hunter looked over at me. “Here!” He threw it at me, not seeing David behind me.

David grabbed my waist and spun me around, away from the ball. “Not this time!” He laughed.

I turned myself around and just as David went to pick it up, I kicked out at the ball, which was still on the ground, causing it to roll away from him. I grabbed his waist and held him back. “Get it Hunter! Score for us.”

Hunter ran towards the ball and got it right when David pulled away from me, but didn’t go full force at his little brother. Hunter made it all the way to the spot we claimed as our goal. “YEAH!! WE WIN! WE WIN!!” He jumped up and down.

I walked over to him and gave him a high five. “Great job! You scored the winning touchdown!”

We had all been out there for so long, I didn’t even know what time it was, but I was going to guess it was around six since the sun was starting to set. “Guys, dinner is ready.” Linda called from the porch. “Come inside and clean yourselves up.”

David turned and started walking first. I ran up behind him and jumped on his back, almost causing him to fall from lack of knowledge that I was coming. “Well…” He scoffed with a laugh. “And what gives you the privilege to not have to walk to the house?”

“Your love for me.” I smirked, even though he couldn’t see me, and kissed the back of his neck.

I heard a low noise come from him and laughed as I pulled myself closer to him and kissed the spot behind his ear and then planted another kiss to his neck. “You’re making it impossible to make it to the house.” I could hear the smile in his deep, gruff voice.

“Fine.” I said and settled for sitting my chin on his shoulder.

Once inside the house, David put me down so we could get cleaned up. Will and Hunter took over the kitchen sink, so I went into the bathroom that was downstairs. David came up behind me and pushed my hand into the faucet causing me to soak the front of my shirt from the back spray. “Hey!” I scolded and flicked him with the water that was left on my hands. “That wasn’t nice.”