Chapter 35:

Ch. 35

~David POV~

I sat on the sidelines watching my rambunctious little brother and beautiful girlfriend play football. I tried to join in at one point, but got shooed away by Hunter. He wanted Payton to himself, I guess. The door creaked open and mom popped out, coming and sitting beside me. “You’re really smitten with her, aren’t you?”

I looked over at her and smiled. “I am.” I thought back to when I almost lost her all because of that stupid bet. That was probably the most stupid thing I have ever done, but at the same time it led me to her. If I could change things, I would just change it to where I was actually asking her out without the bet. “You two seem to get along well.” I nudged moms shoulder with mine.

She nodded and smiled. “I like her a lot. So does your father. He said after that first night that she was sweet. You know he’s hard to please, and doesn’t think any girl is good for his boy.” She chuckled. “She’s definitely better than what-was-her-name…Amanda. I mean, Amanda couldn’t even stand Hunter and here Peyton is, playing football with Hunter and not caring where you’re at.”

I rolled my eyes and laughed. “Oh, thanks mom.”

She hung her head, shaking it and laughing. “You know what I meant.”

“I know.” I said and patted her on her knee. “And I agree. She is much better than Amanda. I was getting annoyed at her clingy-ness. Peyton…she’s different. She’s just simply amazing, even with everything that’s gone on in her life.” Just when the words slipped out, I regretted them. I told her I wouldn’t tell anyone about what Tim did to her, or maybe still does; I’m not even sure myself. I hoped she didn’t catch on, though, and I’d be in the clear.

“Oh, yeah. She seems like a strong girl, I mean, how can someone just have that surgery and now look at her. Sprinting back and forth across the yard.” She sucked in a quick breath. “Wait, speaking of…should she be doing that?”

I looked at mom out of the corner of my eye. “I guess so. She’s a grown up girl, she knows what she can and can’t do. We can’t always keep her under lock and key.” I was learning that. I knew that lately I had probably been a pain in the ass, but I just wanted to make sure she was okay. I mean, I still vividly see her passing out on the trail. It scared the hell out of me. Traumatized me a little too, I think. I looked over at mom, “Mom…” I said.

She looked at me. “What?”

“I think I might be falling in love with her.” It was the first time those words had come out of my mouth, but it was the truth. I just needed to find the perfect time to tell Peyton. I’ve actually wanted to a few times now, but something has always stopped me, or it hasn’t been the right moment.

Mom’s eyes bulged wider. “Are you serious?” I nodded and smiled. “Aw baby! That’s so sweet! Does she know yet?” I shook my head. “Aww. My baby is growing up!” She said and I smiled at her and kissed her cheek. I loved my mom and that I could talk to her about anything.

“Okay, okay, I need a break.” Peyton yelled and sat on the ground.

I jumped up out of my spot, but mom grabbed a handful of my jeans that I had on. “Wait, honey, she’s okay. Don’t go running out there. Look. She’s sitting there laughing with Hunter.”

“But mom, look, she’s breathing really hard.” I said, forgetting everything I had just told mom about not being too overbearing with her.

She got up and laughed at me. “Baby, look at you. I never thought I’d see the day you are this anxious about a girl. You guys are so connected lately, it’s pretty scary actually. But so sweet at the same time. Go on out there, but not because you’re freaking out, but because you want to go out there. Because you love her.” Just the sound of that made my insides feel warm. It was strange. I’ve never felt like that before.