Chapter 10:

A/N: Man, going back to these beginning chapters, I forgot about half of it. It's fun to go back and reread it all. 

~~~~~~~~

Ch. 10

I’m not sure how long I was out. Very faintly, I could hear someone saying my name and gently shaking my shoulder. I couldn’t make out the voice, but I could tell it was deep. Slowly, I opened my eyes and all I saw was the sky. I was lying on my back, but why was I outside? I couldn’t remember what had happened. Not at the moment, anyway.

“Peyton?” David came into my view. “Oh gosh, are you okay?”

I tried sitting up, but David helped me. Looking around, I was on a bench on the trail. I looked at David confused. It was finally coming back to me that we had gone running, but the last thing I remembered was falling. Not sitting on a bench. “What happened?”

“We were running to the trail and you just collapsed.” David said and put his hand on my forehead. “You feel okay? Anything hurt? Should I take you to the hospital?”

I shook my head. “I’m fine.” I looked down and saw a huge bruise on my arm. “Great, now I have a bruise forming on my elbow.”

David chuckled, “That’s what you’re most worried about?” He shook his head. “What happened? You seemed fine and then BAM! You were on the ground. I couldn’t even get over to you fast enough to catch you before you hit the ground. I tried but it all happened so fast.”

I bit my lip wondering if I should tell him about everything spinning before I fell. About being dizzy beforehand. I sighed and leaned back against the back of the bench. David got up and sat next to me, draping my legs over his lap. “I guess I just felt dizzy before I fell. Everything started to spin in front of me and the next thing I know, I was on the ground. How did I get to the bench anyway?”

“I carried you over here.” He said. “If everything was getting blurry or you were dizzy, why didn’t you just tell me? We could have taken a break.”

“Because it usually goes away…” I whispered maybe hoping he wouldn’t hear me.

He looked sharply at me. “This has happened before?”

“Not exactly.” I looked out towards the trees that were on the other side of the trail. Completely avoiding his eyes. “The dizziness, yes, not passing out, anyway.”

“Maybe we should tell someone.”  I looked back at him and shook my head. Everything was fine. I didn’t need anyone looking at me. I just needed to find something to stop the dizziness. Besides, I was terrified of hospitals and needles.

“No. I’m fine. I don’t need to go anywhere. I’ll be okay.” I said and stood up, “See! I’m all better now.”

He watched me, probably making sure I wasn’t about to fall again. David got up and stood next to me. “Maybe we should just get you back to your house. Get some food into you or something to drink. We can go running some other time.”

I stuck out my bottom lip, “But I want to keep running!”

“Maybe it’s not the best time.” He grabbed my hand and started walking back towards my house.

I sighed but followed, keeping my hand in his. “How long was I out?”

“Umm…about five minutes I think. I don’t really know; I was too busy freaking out. You scared the hell out of me.” He squeezed my hand.

“Sorry.” I mumbled. “I guess it’s a good thing you were there.” I tried making the mood light.

“Yeah, who knows how long you would have been there. No one has even gone past on the trail yet.” He agreed.