Chapter 46:

Ch. 46

~Peyton POV~

“I swear, that boy sometimes.” Mom shut the door and turned around to face me after locking it. “The nerve he has to come here and do that.”

Tim still had his hands on my shoulders. I shrugged them off and stepped away. “Keep your hands off of me.” My gaze now turned to my mom. “What do you mean by that?”

“He just fills your head with nonsense, and he makes you act completely different. Come on, now. I know this isn’t you, Peyton. You never disobey me, go against what I say, talk back to me. Ever since you’ve met this boy, you’ve changed.” Oh here we go again with this. “He’s a bad influence on you and I don’t like it.”

“Mom, you’re being ridiculous. If I didn’t have him in my life, then I would probably be curled up in some ball or something right now, rocking back and forth. He’s been here through so much with me, and you’re only saying that because you think he started this whole thing. No, mother, Tim started it all and I’m finally just speaking up for my sanity.” I laughed dryly, “But you wouldn’t know that since you are never home and have left me here with this maniac to deal with all alone. David has been there through it all with me. He’s the one that showed me it was okay to let someone know what’s going on.”

I walked into the kitchen, not caring what she had to say to that. I heard the footsteps following behind me, but I ignored them. I was going to get my food and go to my room. There was no reason for me to stay down here with them. I didn’t feel comfortable enough to stay here. “Hey, I’m sorry that I’m always gone. I’m just trying to make sure we get enough money and I’m trying to make a living for us.”

“What ever happened to Tim’s job, huh? Does he even have one?” Come to think of it, I hadn’t seen him go in a while. “Why do you have to be the one bringing in all of the money?” I asked, thinking about it. I couldn’t even remember the last time Tim worked.

Mom scoffed at me. “You know he doesn’t work full hours anymore, but also works from home. That’s why he’s always here. He brings in money, too.”

“Yeah, doing what? Being a hit man or something?” I snapped even though I knew he was a lawyer, or that’s what he said he was, anyway. “How did you even get out of all of this, huh?” I switched topics, looking over at Tim. “How did you manage to lie your way through all of that and not get anything?”

“Because I told the truth.” He shrugged. “It’s not that hard, Peyton. You could learn a thing or two.”

“Yeah, learn a thing or two from you…funny.” I said and finished off my plate. “I’m going to eat in my room if you need me.”

“No, you’re not. You’re going to enjoy a meal with…” I turned around and glared at mom and made her stop in her sentence.

“No, mom. I’m going upstairs.” I turned around and started towards the stairs.

I heard a laugh behind me. “She just wants to go up there so she can sneak through her window again.” Mike chimed in. I had never even ever snuck out my window. Not yet, anyway, but I wanted to do it this time.

All he had to do was open his mouth to breath and he got my blood boiling. I hated it here and needed to get out. I needed a plan, though, because I clearly wasn’t getting anywhere while mom is here. “She won’t get very far.” Tim said. I stopped dead in my tracks.

“I know.” I could hear the smile on Mikes face. “Peyton! Since I know you’re listening, don’t try to sneak out. They put up alarms all over house, so if you open up a door or a window, it will chime, letting them know that something is opening.”