Chapter 16:

Ch. 16

I was up and around long before my alarm clock went off. It didn’t happen often, but when it did, I managed to actually eat some breakfast and take my time getting ready, since it only took me 10 – 15 minutes to get ready in general. I decided since I had so long to get ready, I would straighten my hair, even though I had a softball game pretty much right after school.

Sadly, it didn’t take me long enough to straighten my hair. I only killed 15 minutes and I still had about thirty more. Ugh! I decided to go downstairs and make a bowl of cereal since I had plenty of time, and I hoped that Mike and Tim would still be in bed, or I would just avoid them somehow. I walked down the stairs, and thankfully, Tim was nowhere to be found. Maybe he had an early start to the day or something. I liked those days because he wasn’t here when I was leaving for school. I smiled to myself and poured a bowl of fruity pebbles. It tasted amazing! It was my favorite cereal and I hadn’t had it in so long, since I don’t eat breakfast on a normal day.

Looking at the clock I saw that I finally had about 20 minutes left. I went back upstairs and picked out my clothes, which ended up being dark jean shorts, an orange tank top with a blue shirt with multicolored flowers all over it on the top. I finished off the outfit with my black converse. By the time I was dressed and ready I still had five minutes to spare. This was like torture. Sure, I could leave early, but then what would I do at school when I get there early? Sighing, I sat down on my bed and turned on my ipod, listening to music to pass the time.

I must have dozed off for a few minutes because when I looked at the clock, I was on the verge of being late. I was going to have to speed to school if I wanted to make it on time. Besides, I knew if I wasn’t on time I would somehow be caught and I didn’t need that. “Bye mom! Don’t forget about my game tonight!” I called as I ran out the door. I had seen her coffee cup in the kitchen when I glanced in there, so I knew she was still home.

“I know. I’ll be there sweety.” She called before I closed the door.

I jogged out to my car and barely started it before I was putting it into gear to bolt out of the driveway. I turned onto the road and slammed on the gas pedal. I made it to school right when the bell rang. Cursing under my breath, I walked to homeroom, bypassing my locker for the moment. I would go between homeroom and first period. Thankfully luck was on my side, and Mr. Dufford wasn’t in his classroom yet so I wouldn’t be marked as tardy. Not that he would really pay attention even if he was. He was such an awesome teacher, that he hardly ever marked you tardy, unless you just didn’t show up at all.

“Where were you this morning? Why are you so late?” Ally asked me when I sat down at my desk.

“Dozed off and lost track of time.” I said and shook my head. “Whoops.” I smiled at her and she rolled her eyes.

Julie turned around, “You’re just lucky Dufford isn’t here. No tardy on your practically clean record.”

I smirked at her, “Yeah, how did I manage that?” I said just as Dufford walked into the room. I had really cut it close but I was safe this time.

School flew by pretty quickly and we all met in the gym to do some warm ups before our game. It was a home game thank goodness. Some of the parents also made a light meal for us to eat before we went out there so we all chowed down on that, probably eating more than we should have, but such is life.

“Okay team; gather around for a quick minute.” Coach Smith ushered us all into a group. When everyone was over, he started talking. “Now, the team that we are about to play is a tough team to beat, but I believe in you guys that you have it in you to beat them. As long as you give it your all, I’ll be proud of you, and I know you’ve all been working hard.”