Chapter 6:

Ch. 6

“You are to be home right after school young lady.” Tim said as I walked out the door.

“We’ll see!” I yelled running over to David’s truck before Tim could yell at me or something. As soon as I got in the truck and shut the door I looked up to see Tim, red in the face, standing in the doorway. I looked away and smiled at David. “Morning.”

“Well, good morning to you too. So, is that your dad in the doorway?” He started to wave at him but I grabbed his wrist and shook my head.

“No. Far from it.” I told him.

He gave me a questioning look, “So he’s your step dad, then?” He guessed. I just nodded. “You don’t like him?”

“Is it that obvious?” I said sarcastically and rolled my eyes. “It’s mutual though so I don’t care.”

“I’m sorry.” David pulled out of my driveway and headed towards the school. He reached over and grabbed my hand but I shook it off. I knew we were about to go on a date tonight, but right now I just couldn’t. He looked a little disappointed, but it didn’t last long on his face.

“It’s okay.” I said. “So, about this date tonight; I have softball from 5 to 7. Is it okay that it would have to be later?”

“Yeah, think you’d be ready by 8?” He asked. “Maybe 8:30?”

“8 sounds great!” I watched out the window as we pulled up to the school.

After he parked we walked into the school and to our locker to get our books for our morning classes and then went into homeroom. I took my seat next to Ally and behind Julie. “Hey girl, you finally get your car back? Is that why you didn’t need a ride?” Ally asked me.

“No, not exactly.” I tried to avoid the topic.

Julie piped in next, “So you just love walking to school that much?” She stared at me like I was crazy.

“I didn’t walk to school…” I mumbled.

“Then how did you…” I could see it clicking in her mind. I mean, I did just walk in pretty much with David, and it wasn’t just ironic that we got to the locker at the same time. I always beat David to school. She glanced over at David who was talking to one of his friends. “You hitched a ride with him, didn’t you?”

I shrugged, “Yeah, he’s a friend now. Why can’t I get a ride with him?”

“Just remember what I said. He’s a player and once a player, always a player.” Ally reminded me. We always said that, and until now I always believed that, but people can change. Not everyone who plays, stays a player. At least, I hoped not. I glanced over at him and just at the same time he looked over at me and smirked, then went back to laughing with his friend. I shook my head.

The bell rang and there was still no sight of Mr. Dufford. He must be too busy planning something for the seniors. He was the senior class advisor and was always on the phone with someone or trying to get things set up to go on the senior trips and everything. I couldn’t wait to be a senior. It was going to be so much fun. Once the bell for homeroom rang, we all went our separate ways to go to first period. David caught up with me to walk to English. “You think she’ll give us an in-class day to work on the project?”

“It’d be nice. Then we wouldn’t have to learn anything and I wouldn’t have to be bored the whole time.” I agreed.

“English isn’t your favorite subject is it?” He asked me.

“Nooo.” I was sarcastic again. When he asked dumb things like that, it was only called for. “It’s my favorite subject in the whole world.” I shoved his shoulder playfully. “What do you think? I only try to avoid it every time we work on it.”