Chapter 48:

Ch. 48

~Peyton POV~

Ouch. My head was throbbing and I felt a pain in my collarbone area, or my shoulder, I don’t really know how to explain it. But, why was it there? My breathing was ragged and deep. There was an obnoxious beeping sound coming from around me. What was that and why was it there? Why was it so constant? I really wish it would stop because it was really starting to annoy me.

I groaned and moved a little. That’s when I finally noticed the warmth on my right hand. Weird. My eyes fluttered open. Wait, when did I fall asleep? The first thing I see is a white wall. Where was I?

“Peyton, honey?” Mom popped up into my vision from my left side. “How are you feeling?”

I just stared at her for a moment. “Where am I?”

“In the hospital.” She stated like it was no big deal.

I swallowed and found my throat really dry. I looked at her, “Can I have something to drink?”

“Sure thing, sweety.” She bent forward and placed a gentle kiss on my forehead. “I’ll be right back.” She patted my left hand.

Once she was out of the room, I looked to the side that had the warm hand. I really hadn’t paid that much attention to my surroundings since I woke up. David was the reason for the warmth, with his hand wrapped around mine.

“Hey.” He smiled at me and sat straighter in his chair.

The lines on his face looked tight and there was worry, but also relief, in his eyes. I swallowed roughly again. “Why am I here?”

David frowned. “You really don’t remember?”

I shook my head. It was like I could barely see it, but was looking through a fuzzy screen and couldn’t make out everything. He sighed and leaned forward. With the hand that wasn’t holding my hand, he reached out and placed it on my cheek. I leaned into his touch, closing my eyes, and let the warmth take over my whole body. A small smile played on my lips.

Before he started talking again, I opened up my eyes. “Well, for starters, you said you walked and ran to my house.” He stopped and shook his head and laughed a little. “Crazy girl, but I love you for it. Anyway,” he continued. “When you were trying to answer me, you passed out.”

“Oh.” I said and thought about it. It was becoming clearer by the minute. “Oh yeah, that’s right.” I remembered standing in his doorway and nothing making sense. It was the strangest feeling.

“Peyton, I have to ask…” He trailed off and looked away for a minute. “Have you been getting dizzy spells lately, and shortness and breath and everything, again?” He watched my eyes as I answered. Probably making sure I answered truthfully.

I thought it over for a second. “Yeah…a little.” I smiled sheepishly at him.

He sighed, “If that ever happens again, you need to tell someone. We could have avoided all of this if you would have told someone. You can’t just keep it a secret. Both times you’ve not told us, you’ve passed out.”

“I’m sorry.” I frowned.

“Here you go, sweety.” Mom interrupted, bringing me a cup of ice water. It looked delicious and I couldn’t wait to drink it.

I didn’t waste any time to take a large gulp as soon as she handed it to me. It burned going down from it being so cold, but it was extremely refreshing. “Thank you.” I smiled at her.

“You’re welcome.” She smiled back at me and then pulled up a seat on the opposite side of David. I could feel the tension between those two and noticed how everything she did, she avoided even looking at David, let alone acknowledging that he’s even there. “So, again, how are you feeling?”