Chapter Thirteen

Scott's P.O.V

Another hour later I walk downstairs to see my Dad and Mom eating together in the dining room. I know they probably heard the argument that I had this morning and from the way they're looking at me now I can tell that they're disappointed.

"Good morning," I say as I take a seat next to my Mom.

"What's so good about it?" My Dad gives me a look and I refrain from rolling my eyes at him. "From what I heard this morning, you didn't take my advice at all."

"I don't want to bicker with you right now," I rest my head on the edge of the table. "Where's Abby at? Don't we need to leave soon?"

"Abby left with Carter about ten minutes ago," he says and I groan at the thought of them being alone together. "I guess you and I will just have to meet theme there."

I nod and stand up to make myself some breakfast. My Dad kisses my Mom on the forehead before walking out of the room. I make a bowl of cereal quickly and sit back down next to my Mom. I stare into the bowl of cereal as I slowly devour it.

I understand that I may have been an asshole this morning but can anyone honestly blame me? I know that Abby can't see it because she's too oblivious. But I'd like to think that I know when a guy is flirting. I've done it enough myself to be able to tell and I'm positive that this guy has nothing but bad motives. Abby always seems to be attracting the wrong guys around her.

"It's painful to see how hard you're thinking right now."

I turn to my Mom who is wearing a small smile on her face. I groan, already knowing what's about to come next. I begin to prepare myself for the unavoidable lecture that I'm about to get. A lecture from both parents over the course of 24 hours seems like a bit too much.

"You're Father was a lot easier on you than I'm going to be," I raise my eyebrows at her but don't have enough time to dodge her hand as she hits me in the back of the head. She hits me hard enough for it to hurt but not hard enough for it to be considered child abuse.

"Mom!" I flinch away and rub the back of my head. "What was that for?"

"It's to knock some sense into your head," she says as I frown at her. "I knew you wouldn't listen to your Father because he's an idiot for thinking you would listen to him."

"I'm gonna tell him that you called him an idiot," I say but she just rolls her eyes at me.

"Honey!" She suddenly yells and I furrow my eyebrows at her.

"Yeah?" My Dad walks back into the room carrying a briefcase.

"You're an idiot."

"When are you gonna stop calling me that?" My Dad groans and walk back toward his office. "I get it, I'm an idiot."

I laugh at my parent's relationship, knowing that my Mom holds the steering wheel in their situation. Even though I hate walking into a room and running into my parents having their tongues down each other's throats, I will admit that my parents seem to be made for each other.

"Anyways," my Mom looks at me again with a grin on her face. "Where has your head been lately? You're lucky that your Dad stopped me from going upstairs when you were yelling at that poor boy."

"Why are you taking his side? I'm your offspring."

"I don't care if you're the queen of England," she crosses her arms over her chest. "You don't just yell at people for no reason."

"I had a reason."

"What was it?"

I turn away from her, frustrated that I can't think of a plausible reason as to why I yelled at Carter this morning. I'm starting to understand that I screwed up just because I was jealous. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Carter is actually a good guy and I've been imagining things this entire time. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that I've jumped to conclusions.