Chapter Twenty Three

Scott's P.O.V

Today has been quite the strange day, definitely not what I was expecting it would be. Abby came over to help me get rid of the weasel that's been living in my attic for the past few weeks, and then Angela showed up all of a sudden with a request to go to the movies. I still don't know how I feel about her knowing where my spare key was but her Abby and I went to the movies nonetheless.

Honestly it went a lot better than I thought it would go. Abby and Angela seemed to get along really well, of course I slept through most of the sappy chick flick that Angela chose for us to watch so I haven't actually been paying much attention to them. As of right now we're on our way back to my house because that's where Abby and Angela left their cars at since we decided to take mine.

"It's looking really bad out tonight," I say as I squint my eyes and try to get a better look at the road as the rain continues to pour down. I don't risk looking over at Angela, who nearly fought Abby to sit in the front seat, because of the terrible weather I have to drive through tonight. "It looks like it's getting worse."

Angela doesn't answer me because she has her attention on her phone but Abby startles me a little bit as her head pops up between my seat and Angela's.

"How bad do you think it's going to get?" Abby asks and I can feel her staring at me but I still don't take my eyes off the road.

"Sit back and put your seatbelt on," I command and she easily complies. A burst of thunder tears through the air and we all jump. "It can't possibly get much worse though can it?"

Just as I say that a loud siren rings through the air and I shake my head at myself. Haven't I learned before that I shouldn't use the phrase 'it can't get worse' because it can always get worse. The tornado sirens is just more evidence that the universe is against me right now.

"We're only a couple of minutes away from my house," I say and Abby hums while Angela continues to ignore everything around her except for her phone. "But when we get there I'm not letting you guys drive home. Especially not if there's a tornado watch, you're just going to have to stay at my house until the weather clears up."

"Did I just hear something about staying at your house?" Angela's attention is finally drawn away from her phone and I almost have to resist rolling my eyes at her. "Cause I'm up for it."

"You and Abby will have to stay at my house until this storm is over," I repeat to her as we pull into my driveway. Angela squeals happily and I can't help but frown at her as she bounces in her seat.

"This is going to be so much fun," she says as I park the car and reach into the back to grab my umbrella. "I used to have tons of sleepovers with my cheerleading team in high school."

"Great," I mumble before opening my door and releasing the umbrella. Even though the umbrella is all new and has rarely been used it's no match for the bursts of wind that hits me when I climb out of the car. I still attempt to walk over to Abby's side and help her out of the car though. I hold the umbrella over her head, trying to prevent her from getting wet as much as I possibly can.

When I finally usher Abby into the house I have to walk back outside and help Angela out of the car. Angela complains about how cold it is all the way into the house and I have half a mind to leave her outside, but I open the door for her anyways and follow her inside.

"The power is out," Abby says and I groan as I look around the pitch black house. "Where do you keep your candles at?"

"If I have any candles they'd be in the cupboard probably," I shrug as I pull out my phone to use my flashlight. When I have it on I flash it on my cupboards. "Look in there, I'll run to my room and get you some clothes to sleep in for tonight."

Abby moves over toward the cupboard and I walk down the hall to my room. I run my hands through my hair in frustration. Today was supposed to be a relaxing day of hunting that weasel and watching movies. But the universe has a funny way of screwing things up for me.

"Scotty?" I hear Angela's voice echo through the halls as I dig through my closet. I haven't exactly washed clothes in a while so it's not so easy to find clean ones without digging around. "Where are you?"

I finally find two pair of basketball shorts and a couple of t-shirts for them to wear. I walk out of my room and back into the living room to see Angela standing in the room with a very confused expression on her face. Abby is sitting on the floor as she leans up against the wall and stares out the window. I pause where I'm standing and stare at her for a moment. Moments like these are the ones that need to be captured on camera. Abby's always been great at just looking naturally beautiful, which is something that you can't say for most people.

The room is lit up with candles that Abby must have dug out so I turn off the flashlight that's on my phone. I walk further into the room and lay the clothes down on the coffee table.

"Why don't we just turn the lights on?" Angela questions as she glances down at the clothes I just set down. "What's up with all the candles?"

"I thought it was pretty self explanatory when Abby said that the power was out," I say but she continues to stare at me with a confused look on her face. "It's when there's a big storm and the power stops working because some technical thing gets knocked out. Have you never had a power outage?"

"No," she says with a look of disgust on her face. "Can't you have your Dad fix this or something? Just call and have him send someone over."

"No one is coming over in this weather," I say before picking up the clothes and handing them to her. "I don't know when we'll be getting power back though so for now I'd just put these on and lay down or something. The bathroom is just down the hall."

She snatches the clothes from my hands and stops down the hall rather childishly. I shake my head at her before picking up the clothes I got out for Abby and walking over to where she's sitting at.

"How're you doing?" I ask slowly sitting down across from her. "I know you're not a huge fan of thunderstorms."

"I've gotten used to them," she says not taking her eyes off of the window as she stares outside. "They've gotten a lot more comforting, the thunder doesn't bother me as much anymore either. It's actually kind of nice to hear something out there as loud as a thunderstorm. To know that there's something much bigger out there than us. It used to scare me but now I understand."

"That's good," I say and we sit there in silence for a little while longer. I move my gaze away from her and instead stare out the window, but somehow my thoughts are still on her even when I'm thinking about something else. While I stare at the rain I can't help but think about how Abby is just like the rain. When it's raining there are millions of different raindrops that, if put together, can make a huge impact on your life. Abby's the same way, there are millions of different parts to Abby that, if put together, can make an impact on your life.

And she sure has made an impact on mine. 

.-.-.-.-.-.-.

I am sorry for the long wait and the short chapter but I can't even stress how tired I am. I was at a wedding pretty much all weekend and still have a bunch of school work to finish. This is more of a part 1, part 2 sort of chapter so hopefully I can get the next chapter up soon. 

How'd you think the night is going to go?

Scabby plus thunderstorms always means something, right?

Angela is the best.

What're you thinking of this chapter? Comments for me? 

Who's your favorite character right now? What characters do you hate the most?

Vote

Comment

Follow

Fan