Chapter Twenty Nine

Scott's P.O.V.

"I'm just kidding she's alive," Dad laughs and stands up.

We all laugh at his insanely funny joke, fist pump the air, and lift Angela up, then walk up the stairs to drink tea and have crumpets.

Too bad that's not how it actually happened.

We all sat in the the basement silently until the ambulance arrived. It took them a long time because it still looked pretty bad on the streets from the storm. When they got here I had to watch as they did their job. The confirmed her death and I looked away when they brought in her body bag.

The police arrived not too long after that and we began to run through the motions. We were all asked a few questions and we explained what we knew, which wasn't much. My Father gave them the security footage for the day, which also wasn't much. It just showed Angela walking into the basement and since there are no cameras down in the basement there's no way to tell how exactly she got herself caught in the machine.

"What just happened?" Anna asks when the police finally leave. My Dad and Mom walk up to Dad's office to start making calls. Angela's Mom and Dad are not going to be happy when they hear about this.

"I think my boss just died," I say still pretty shocked by the events that just played out.

There's not much more to talk about after that. There's a very dark feeling that continues to loom over us for the rest of the day and the few days after that. We have to talk to the police a few more times to clear up everything. My parents invite Angela's parents over, out of common courtesy. I've never met them before but I can only assume that they won't be any different than their daughter.

The roads have gotten a lot better and mostly everyone who doesn't live here has their way back to their own houses by now. Liam, of course, has been lounging around on my couch. College classes are being postponed in light of the flood so that students can go home and spend some time with their families. That being said, Abby's parents heard about the flood and decided to fly down here to visit their daughters. Last time they were here they didn't seem to like me very much though, so I don't know how excited I am to see them again.

"This has been a weird week," Liam says to me. We're both lying on opposite sides of the couch, wearing matching Monsters Inc. boxers with a bowl of popcorn in between us. We're currently in the middle of re watching all of the Star Wars movies.

"It certainly has," I reach over and grab a handful of popcorn. "Especially with the whole Angela thing."

"She seemed like a little bit of a bitch to me," Liam shrugs. "Of course I shouldn't be calling a dead girl a bitch. It's bad what happened to her though."

I nod my head in understanding. I don't think that Angela deserved what happened to her. She wasn't the best person in the world but nobody deserves to die the way that she did. I can't help but wonder what she was doing in my basement though.

"Um Scott," I turn and look at Liam. Anyone who didn't know us would probably find it rather stranger that we lay around together in matching underwear, but we've been best friends for so long that it's not weird to us at all. "How did you know that you loved Abby?"