24 • 二十四

- Jeon Jungkook's POV -

I called Minseo's mum the next day to see if she could make Minseo come out of her house. She met me in the park, and I greeted he politely, before explaining everything that had happened as we set off towards Minseo's house.
"I'm sorry for not telling you sooner." I told Mrs. Lee, but she just smiled at me weakly.
"It's okay," She replied. "I can see that you didn't think it would be this bad."

The two of us arrived at her house, and we made our way to the front door. I decided to stay quiet since I might ruin a family moment, and possibly our only chance at seeing Minseo.

"Minseo?" Mrs. Lee called gently. "Are you in there?" There was no reply, but we heard someone moving.
"M-mum?" A faint, shaky voice could be heard from the other side of the door, and me and Mrs. Lee stared at each other in shock.
"Minseo?" She repeated. "Are you okay? What's wrong?" Minseo didn't reply immediately, but after a while we heard something.

"I'm scared, mum." She whimpered. Minseo sounded ill and tired; has she not slept?
"Scared of what?" Mrs. Lee asked calmly.
"I- I can't say." Minseo replied.
"Can you open the door?" She leaned against the door, crouched down do her head was near the letter box. "Can you open it for me?"

"I can't," Minseo began to sound a little more panicked, and I stared down at Mrs. Lee worriedly. "He'll find me."
"Who?" Her mum asked, but we got no reply. "Can I see you? Please?" Minseo began to get really upset, and I could hear her trying to hide her crying, and irregular breathing, but it wasn't working.

She's having a panic attack.

"Shhh, Minseo." Her mum acted fast but spoke with a sense of tranquility; she really knew what she was doing. "Can you hold my hand through the letter-box?" After a couple of seconds a shaky, pale hand reached out from the letter box, and both me and Minseo's mum were shocked by it. Nevertheless, Minseo's mum continued to work her magic and calmed Minseo down, never letting go of her frail hand. It looked as if the bones were about to snap; what is she doing in there?

"Can you answer me as truthfully as you can?" Mrs. Lee asked Minseo. "When was the last time you ate?" There was a short pause where no one said anything, until Minseo's faint voice could be heard.
"F-four days..?" She mumbled, and I felt my eyes widen in shock. She hasn't eaten!?

"And how about sleep?" Mrs. Lee pursued. "When was the last time you slept, even something small like a nap?"
"Two days." Minseo mumbled, and I looked away from the porcelain-like hand that was clutching Mrs. Lee's. This is my fault, isn't it? I should've trusted her like she said, and then she wouldn't be so paranoid. She wouldn't be starving herself. It's my fault.

"It's a good thing I brought your favourite cookies then," Mrs. Lee smiled wholeheartedly, gesturing for me to hand her the box at the side. I did so, and she - skilfully - opened it with one hand, taking out a cookie. Gently placing it in Minseo's hand, we watched as the hand slowly withdrew back to the other side, and the crunching sound of her munching on the cookie sounded like music to my ears. Isn't it amazing what effects a loving family can have...

We sat there until all of the five cookies were gone, and Mrs. Lee also passed a couple of small pieces of fruit through the letterbox too.
"Okay then," Mrs. Lee smiled. "I better get going. Remember Minseo, I'll come and see you everyday, and I'll come round whenever if you call me."
"Okay." Minseo sniffled lightly.
"See you tomorrow," Minseo's mum said kindly, before me and her set off.

"You didn't say anything to her," Mrs. Lee pointed out after we'd walked off.
"I thought I'd make things worse if she knew I was there." I replied, looking down.
"Don't be ridiculous," She retorted, causing me to look away.

"Would you like me to come with you to visit her?" I asked, and she shook her head.
"No, you focus on this case and get the damn thing solved so everyone can go back to living a normal life." She informed me. "I feel like the sooner this is sorted out, the sooner Minseo will go back to normal." She told me. "Everyone's a little on-edge, but Minseo isn't as strong as you or me and can't handle all the pressure."
"Yeah," I sighed, looking up to the sky.

"I hope your wound is feeling better." She gestured towards my chest.
"It is, thanks to Minseo." I replied, smiling slightly. "She helped me out with everything, even when it came down to simple things like carrying bags or changing my shirt."

I eventually waved Mrs. Lee off as she made her way back to her car, and I began to walk back to the dorm. Mrs. Lee was right; I need to finish this case.

- Lee Minseo's POV -

After my mum left, I felt much happier. Not safe, but slightly happier. I feel like food was exactly what I needed, and the fact that she was coming back everyday filled me with a sense of relief.

Suddenly, I got a text on my phone. In all honesty, I don't know why I leave it on. Maybe I'm just making sure that I have at least one option of talking to people if I don't want to speak.

---------------
[Unknown]: You can't keep yourself locked up forever.
[Unknown]: And you certainly can't live off snacks your mum passes through the letter-box.
[Unknown]: Go outside and eat some real food.
----------------

My eyes widened, and I shook my head, even though the stalker wasn't there. He'd been messaging me non-stop the whole time I've been here, saying fucked up things like how my scared expression turns him on, and that he thinks we should have so many children. It's been scaring the life out of me. Is this my future? Live in a dark hole or living with a murderer?

-----------------
[Me]: I'm not going outside.
[Unknown]: Go now.
[Me]: No.
[Unknown]: Are you seriously defying me? Go outside. Eat some food.
-----------------

I turned my phone off, not caring if anyone wanted to text me. I can't put up with him anymore. He's going to drive me insane.

What do I do?

- Jeon Jungkook's POV -

The next day was Thursday the 9th of March, so I woke up early along with some of the other hyungs who had work. I set off from the dorm and made my way to the police station, swinging my laptop case as I strolled along. I met Mingyu on the way, and he waved, but seemed surprised that I wasn't coming from the usual direction: Minseo's house.

"How come you weren't at Minseo's?" Mingyu asked me.
"Shit has happened." I told him. "I'll tell you about it at the station in a bit, okay?" I told him, and he nodded.

We strolled into the station - on time - when Minho came running towards us.
"We have a problem." Minho practically yelled in panic.
"What is it?" I asked.

"Another person's dead."

♥︎
thank you for reading
please remember to vote

Word Count: 1245