45 • 四十五

- Jeon Jungkook's POV -

Upon arriving at the quiet police station I ran inside, swiftly grabbing my laptop which is left on the side and dashed towards the security department.
"Jungkook?" I looked up to see a familiar face.

"Ah, Moonbyul." I smiled at her as we crossed paths in the hallway. Moon Byulyi, or just Moonbyul, works nights here. She works in the protection department with a few others to make sure nothing happens while we're not in, and over the past month I've become quite close to her as I've been working late into the night.

"Jungkook, there's a curfew." She pointed out, raising an eyebrow. "Aren't you supposed to be at home?"
"Maybe..." I mumbled, looking away.
"So what are you doing here at-" she checked the clock on the wall. "It's only 9!? Damn, I've got the whole night ahead of me." This made me chuckle.

"It's good to see you laugh again, Jungkook," she smiled lightheartedly. "Every time I've seen you, you've been too tired or too upset. You're never happy anymore." I sighed upon hearing her comment, looking at her with a kind look in my eyes.
"There's not a lot to be happy over anymore." I replied, shoving my free hand in my pocket and lifting my head to look up at the ceiling. "It's all been taken away."

"That's not true." She replied. "Yes, awful things have happened, but you've got a lot of people here who are more than willing to pick you back up if you ever fall down."
"I know," I smiled politely. "Thank you."
"Ughh~ you're so formal!" She exclaimed, walking over and patting me on the shoulder. "Good luck with the case; I know you can send that crook to jail."

Trust me, I'll do more than that.

"Thanks again." I repeated. "See you soon." And I sped off towards Lee Jinki's office.

As I thought, inside were Jinki and Minho, sat on two chairs facing a desk filled with computers.
"Jungkook!" Minho exclaimed.
"You're gonna want to see this." Jinki told me, and I came running over, placing my laptop on the side and looking at the huge screen.

"Look what was picked up this afternoon." Jinki pointed to the screen, right at the front door of the mansion. Out came a middle aged man carrying a few folders, walking right out the building.
"Do we know who he is?" I asked.
"Choi Jinho, psychiatrist." Minho replied.
"Does he live there?" I pursued, and Minho shook his head whilst Jinki was typing away at his keyboard.
"He lives in Daejeon." Minho replied.

"Why would Yoongi risk meeting a psychiatrist?" I turned to face my two hyungs, who only shrugged whilst still staring at the screen.
"Do you think you could interview him?" Jinki asked. "For the case?"
"It'd be highly unlikely." Minho replied. "If Yoongi has hired a psychiatrist, then this guy would be sworn to secrecy."

"Then..." I paused in thought. "Can we send someone in undercover?"
"For what? An interview?" Minho retorted.
"Claiming that they have PTSD or something, and then-" I was interrupted.
"Seriously Jungkook?" Minho stared up at me from the seat he sat in, and I just looked back with slightly wide eyes and a pursed lip.

"Sounds like a good idea to me." A familiar voice called from the door, as we all saw Jisoo saunter in from the doorway. Following behind was Mingyu, and behind him Moonbyul poked her head round the door.
"Almost makes me wanna be a part of your team." Moonbyul mumbled.

"What are you all doing here!?" Minho exclaimed, standing up out of his seat in a distressed manner.
"What do you mean?" Jisoo retorted sassily. "We're all a team, so no one should be left out."
"WOO!" Moonbyul cheered from the doorway.

"Anyway," Mingyu began. "About that plan! We could all run in halfway through the session and be like 'you're under arrest on suspicion of helping the criminal Min Yoongi!' Or something." He yelled, pointing his fingers in a gun shape at Minho with a cheeky smile on his face.
"Like they do in the movies!!" Moonbyul exclaimed, running in and joining in on the gun shooting motions with Mingyu.

"Isn't she meant to be 24?" Jinki mumbled. Minho sighed, looking at the group of people gathered at the station.
"I guess.... the idea's not too bad..." Minho muttered.

"What's going on in here?" Everyone went quiet, silently but swiftly turning to face the door.
"Minseok!" Minho exclaimed, and everyone was silent. Kim Minseok, or just Xiumin, is the head of the protection department, and - alongside Moonbyul - was on night watch.

 Kim Minseok, or just Xiumin, is the head of the protection department, and - alongside Moonbyul - was on night watch

(A/N): Here's the "hierarchy" of the police department. At the top are the 'Head of Departments' and the same coloured names underneath are people working in that department (that are relevant to the story)

So, the pink is the 'Detective Department' , green is the 'Security Department' and the purple is the 'Protection Department'.

Idk if any of this is true in real life I just made it up rn because it sounds cool oh well.

"We were just discussing a plan." Jinki explained. "You know, for the whole Min Yoongi case."
"Oh!" Minseok exclaimed, inviting himself into the room. "What have you got?"
"Get someone to go undercover so we can speak to a key witness." I explained, and he nodded.
"But wait," Jisoo began. "Who would go undercover? We're all either shitty actors or have been seen on the news."

"Sounds cool!" Minseok smiled. "Now, I hope you don't mind, but Moonbyul and I have to carry on with our jobs." He then glanced at me, Mingyu, Jisoo and Minho. "And there's a curfew, so the four of you need to go home."
"The man's right..." Moonbyul mumbled.

"Hey!" He exclaimed, turning to face the woman. "If you knew that then why did you let them in?" Minseok had a slight smile on his lips, as he's not the serious type, but tried to scold her nonetheless. Emphasis on the word 'tried', as his attempt failed miserably when everyone started to giggle.

"Come on! Everyone go home now!" Minseok yelled, ushering people out the room.
"You got it sir-" Moonbyul began, but was interrupted.
"Not you! You fool!" He frowned somewhat cutely. "You've got a job to do!"

And with that we all walked out the police station.

"What time is it?" I asked Mingyu, as we were walking home together.
"Nearly ten." He replied, followed by a short silence.

"Jungkook," Mingyu began. "Not to sound rude or anything, but why are you walking this way?"
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"Your dorm isn't this way."

I stopped in my tracks. He's right. My dorm's in the opposite direction. This is the way to Minseo's house.

"H-hey, Jungko-" Mingyu stuttered, but I interrupted him.
"I'm okay." I replied emotionlessly. "I'll just go check up on the house to see if it looks okay."
"Uhh, sure..." Mingyu mumbled in reply. "Just make sure you get home safe. And please don't get drunk again."
"Oh, uhh, I won't." I replied, coming across the familiar crossroad that I hadn't walked down in a long time. "I'll see you tomorrow then."
"Goodnight Jungkook!" Mingyu yelled. "Sleep well."

If only I could.

♥︎
thank you for reading
please remember to vote

Word Count: 1229