44 • 四十四

- Lee Minseo's POV -

I checked the calendar that hung on the wall. Friday the 24th March, 2017. Almost 2 weeks since I've been here. Over the past three days Yoongi's been getting more and more stressed; you can see it in his everyday actions. He's constantly getting up and pacing around, or he's tapping his finger, and he always watches his back.

I've been trying to persuade him to see a psychiatrist to help with this anxiety he's been having, as I believe that it may be beneficial towards him, but as of yet he's said no.

Until now.

This morning he called for a psychiatrist to come to the house: which apparently cost a lot of money since he's been sworn to secrecy. It's scary business, avoiding the law.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door, and on instinct I walked over to open it. However, a large man in a black suit stopped me in my tracks, telling me to step away just in case. I huffed, moving aside to let the man open the door to none other than the psychiatrist that Yoongi paid for.

"Hello," he smiled kindly to me. "Where may I find Min Yoongi?"
"I'm here." A grumpy voice called from upstairs. "Come with me." The psychiatrist walked past me, up the stairs and towards the study, leaving me stood in my place with nothing to do.

The two of them spoke for a bit, and after a while I was called into the study. Opening the door I was faced with an empty seat where Yoongi once sat, opposite the man. Yoongi was stood up beside the empty chair. I'd noticed that the place had been cleared up, void of any evidence. Yoongi then began making his way out the room.
"He wants to speak to you." He sighed, quietly making his way out.

"So, Doc," I smiled lightheartedly. "What's up?"
"I'll get straight to the point: I believe that Yoongi is suffering from a case called EDD," he began.
"Which means..?"
"Empathy Deficit Disorder." He answered causing me to nod. But then curiosity kicked in again.
"Is that even a thing?" I asked.

"Well, technically, I made the term up," he began. "But it's real; lots of people suffer from it."
"So what exactly is it?" I pursued.
"Well, when you suffer from it you're unable to step outside yourself and tune in to what other people experience, especially those who feel, think and believe differently from yourself."

"Right.." I mumbled.
"Which makes it a source of personal conflicts and attitudes such as hatred towards groups of people who differ in their beliefs and traditions."

"So," I began, thinking it over in my head first. "That explains why he acts like that, but... could there be some awful childhood past to cause this?"
"No, I don't think so." He replied. "Most people are socially conditioned into believing that acquiring and achieving things are normal and healthy ways to live. EDD grows when people focus too much on acquiring power, status, and money for themselves."

"So you're saying that when Yoongi was working hard to become an army general... he lost all empathy towards others?" I confirmed, and he nodded. "But isn't he saying that he.. loves me? If he has no feelings towards others how is that even possible?"

"Here's where it gets a little out of the ordinary." He sighed. "I believe that when he was working his way up to be where he is now, he had another motive besides himself; you." He pointed towards me. "I think all he wanted was for you to be happy, with him, in a world where no one else matters."