Chapter 16

[Ahhh boy, I need to write more chapters. I don't have any more ready after this. Hopefully I won't have to take a break? Maybe.]

Stay Creepy, My Friends!~

Chapter 16

Elizabeth's POV

I had no choice but to cut through Cincinnati to get where I wanted to go. To be honest, I don't even know what my destination is. So far, I'm heading north. All I have in mind is to get as far away from people as much as possible. Maybe I can live out my days in the woods, away from civilization, bearing my pain alone. When I was younger, my mom and dad used to take me camping sometimes and taught me enough basics. I could live amongst nature, sleep in trees, make myself a den, or even a shanty. In that case, maybe I can go to Canada. They have lots of forests. The border isn't as protected compared to the south, so it should be easy to cross, right? In that case, I'll have to get myself a thick coat.

The city was alive with the atmosphere of a warm, sunny Saturday. It was noon and I kept anxiously tugging the front of my baseball cap as I walked. My backpack felt lighter due to my depleted snacks, so I knew I would have to get more food while I'm here. My switchblade felt heavy and lumpy in my pocket. Caedis' knife was dumped a few days ago, but I kept his gun just for safe measure. I've never used a gun. I hear there's a kickback. Thankfully, I'm right handed so my prosthesis could probably take the force.

It's been a few days since I ditched Caedis at that motel. So far, I haven't run into him, and I've been doing well without him. Sometimes I wonder what he's up to, if he's still alive. Every night, I remember the way I left him, weakened and helpless--in pain. On one hand, I'm curious as to why my blood incapacitated him, and then on the other I could care less, because I enjoyed what I did. If he ends up showing up, I'll just make him suffer again and again and again. Me hurting him will be his own fault for coming back.

I stopped and leaned against a shop wall to check a map I swiped from a store. It was nearly crumpled from being in my pocket but still readable. Quickly, I examined the paper to affirm where I was, and looked out for a market area. It's not too far. It'll be easier to get food from there since it's a Saturday. I'd rather not pay for food; I would much prefer to steal it.

I folded the map back to a couple of inches and shoved it into my pocket, crumpling it some more. Adjusting my cap once again, I continued walking on the sidewalk. A few minutes passed and I saw a market up ahead a couple of blocks away. My want to eat tugged me forward towards the market and I broke into a jog. Already, I smelled delicious scents coming from the food stands and booths. God damn, I'm hungry. Then, my mouths whispered to me again, complaining about wanting their own food for the billionth time now. I thought, Screw off, and hoped they could hear that as I walked across the parking lot.

There were fruit stands, vegetable stands, and more. A man hollered about barbecue from far off, and the thought of it made me willing to use up eight bucks. Instead, I kept my sights on just fruits, veggies, and anything else travel-sized. There were enough people to distract the vendors so that I could swipe something. I looked ahead to a stand selling bananas, apples, strawberry baskets, and more. The food there looked to be the best so I started for it, planning out everything in my head with each step.

Just as I casually stuck my arm out to swipe some oranges, a weight bumped into me from behind. I stumbled forward and heard the stranger tell me, "I'm sorry...! Are you okay?"

"Yeah," was all I muttered before turning around to see them.

My blood ran cold the moment I saw those familiar green eyes and those blue glasses. Her face was just as taken aback as mine must have been, and she whispered something under her breath that I was too nervous to hear. I didn't glance at her long; all I could see was that she looked different. Despite that, she was still her, and knowing her she'll want to catch me. I can't let that happen.