Chapter 40

[Heyo, finally updated oh bOY.

All-Region orchestra competition is coming up soon. So is Halloween. And Voltron season 4 ("season 4") haS COME OUT AND MY PUS IS POPPI—.

Ahem, uh, yeah, I'm excited.

BTW, an honorable mention to GingaAkam. One of her babies which I so highly adore has made an appearance, and I hope I did him some justice.

Music in MM is the Furusato lullaby (I'd suggest you listen but ehh, ya feel me?).

Enjoy the chapter!]

Stay Creepy, My Friends!~

Chapter 40

Ao's POV

"Usagi oishi kano yama,
kobuna tsurishi kano kawa,
yume wa ima mo megurite,
wasure-gataki furusato..!"

Okaasan clapped for me for singing along to the lady on stage. She sat on the edge, surrounded by other children singing along while a man played the keyboard behind her as accompaniment. I stood by my parents, singing along on my own, holding Okaasan's yukata in one hand and holding ChiChi's hand in the other. I was still a bit nervous about spending time with the other kids at the festival. This is my first Obon, as well as my first trip to Japan to visit ChiChi's hometown for the summer, Kyoto. It's pretty daunting to be some place entirely new. But it was comforting to know Sam was with me to share my mixed feelings of awe and insecurity.

Sam continued the folk song along with me, pronouncing the words as best as he could.

Ikani imasu chichi-haha,
tsutsuganashi ya tomogaki,
ame ni kaze ni tsuketemo,
omoiizuru furusato.~

"Kokorozashi o hatashite,
itsunohinika kaeran,
yama wa aoki furusato,
mizu wa kiyoki furusato...!"

I finished, feeling the huge smile on my face. My parents cheered gently and clapped for me, as everyone else around us clapped for the singing woman and the gang of children she amazed. I giggled and bounced on my feet, being careful not to fall over in my slippers.

Together my parents and I walked along through the crowd of other citizens. Many lanterns and sheets of paper were hung overhead, zigzagging above the streets we strolled through. All around I heard music, and chatter, and laughing, and the smells of food were amazing. Afternoon sunlight shined beautifully through the trees where the cicadas were chirping and singing along to the joyous atmosphere of the summer festival.

I glanced up at Okaasan, who was waving her fan in her face to keep her cool. Then I looked at ChiChi, who observed everything around him with the same awed eyes that I probably have. He must be so happy to be back home. All the way through the trip here on the airplane and in the car we rented, he told me all his stories about Kyoto and growing up. Festivals were always a favorite of his because he was able to eat all of the delicious foods and see so many people. Ever since moving to America, he's celebrated his culture less and less. Now that he has a chance to attend another festival, I'm happy to see him in such high spirits.

"Ao, would you like some takoyaki?" ChiChi asked me, pointing to a vendor up ahead (his Japanese was growing easier for me to understand). I nodded eagerly, feeling the beads pinned in my hair tap against my ear. He grinned happily as he led me forward to the food stand, and we left Okaasan behind.