Chapter 37

[Lol, forgot to update yesterday. yEET :)

Music in the MM is WILD by Troye Sivan.

Also, looks like I'll be going as Ellie for Halloween. More yEET.]

Stay Creepy, My Friends!~

Chapter 37

Reese's POV

"Sorry if these are too baggy. I lost the drawstring to them a long time ago," I told Ben as I handed him a pair of sweatpants to wear. He stood in front of me, hugging my sweatpants and a t-shirt I lent to him against his chest.

"It's alright. Not the least of my worries," he replied.

I took a few moments to gaze at him, before I went for my bedroom door and said, "I'll let you change." Quietly, I closed the door and shuffled down the hallway to the kitchen.

Hunter sat at the kitchen table, looking at his phone, while Mom was making some tea. I pulled up a chair next to my brother and asked, "The news say anything?"

"Yeah," he answered. "The freeway and that grocery store are gonna go under some serious construction. I'll have to take another route to get to work now."

"Oh shit..."

"Reese," Mom chided without looking back.

"Sorry," I murmured.

"How's Ben?" Hunter asked.

"He's alright for now. I let him borrow some clothes," I said.

Hunter set his phone down and rubbed his hands against his face. It's been a long night for us. Mom is worried beyond her wits, but she's keeping to herself since she doesn't want to go into a lecture while Ben is here and scare him. And knowing he will have to leave again after this, the night only feels worse.

"I'm sorry," I said, twiddling my thumbs on the table.

Hunter rested his head in one hand and responded, "Why are you apologizing?"

I paused for a moment to think about his question. Shrugging, I said, "I don't know. I just feel bad."

"It's okay. We didn't know anything would happen. We're safe and that's what matters," he said assuredly.

"Yeah..."

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I nodded reluctantly. "Just surprised, is all. This night was supposed to be fun for the three of us, but..."

My brother sighed and kindly shook my wrist. "Hey, I realized I was kind of a dick for bailing on you."

"Hunter," Mom chided again, tossing a look over her shoulder.

"Sorry, mamá," he murmured. He looked at me and continued, "So I was a jerk. I apologize for that. But I also wanted you and Ben to hang out, and you did, so there's a plus."

"Yeah, there was," I said, staring down at my hands, thinking about my time at the concert and having enjoyed the experience with Ben at my side. There were moments where I just wanted nothing but to be with him, and sometimes it felt like we were the only ones there. Just him and I jumping around like fools, howling at the top of our lungs, cackling like no tomorrow. He really brought up my mood earlier, and I'm thankful for that. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the concert itself without him.