Chapter 50

Its been a while.

Chapter 50

Elizabeth's POV

Leaves and dirt stuck to my soaked pants as I trekked through the forest to a nearby place, a place that Jeff would love. He straggled behind a little, trying his best to put on his clothes again. I waited for him, giggling at his struggle and the way he playfully frowned at me.

"Where are we going now?" he asked.

I could only smile at him. "You'll see. Be patient!"

"Yes, dear," he groaned and I smirked at him.

Right when I felt we were coming up to our destination, I told him to cover his eyes. What I had was a surprise. He was a little reluctant, but listened to me anyway and gingerly walked with me. I had to help him so he wouldn't end up tripping in the dark. Eventually, we made it and I had him sit down in the grass.

"Okay, you can look now," I said quietly in his ear. Once he removed his hands, his expression had become one of awe.

Up above him was a sea of stars against the darkness—so, so bright that I could see the light reflecting in his black eyes. Or maybe that was just the sheer joy and wonder radiating from him. Either way, he looked wonderful. Beautiful.

"This...is amazing. The stars have never looked so bright," he marveled.

"Where the city lights don't reach, stars will light the way," I sighed.

"This place really is great," he chuckled.

Looking up at the sky, I admitted, "I come here a lot. On nights that I can't sleep, I wander the forest, hoping to find some serenity. One night, I stumbled upon this wide-open space where you can see the sky. I've stayed here for hours—almost all night. I knew the moment I came here that I wanted to show you this place once we were together again."

Gently, I took hold of Jeff's hand and squeezed. Stargazing was always our thing. There's no way I would let it die. I remembered something he told me on a night that seemed like so long ago, in that quiet, cold backyard.

"Hey Jeff, lay down and look at the stars with me! Come on! They're amazing!"

"I don't need to. I'm already looking at one."

The memory made me smile. My heart swelled knowing that that love we had isn't completely gone. And even when it was when I lost my memories, Jeff still tried to bring it back. He did, and I'm grateful for that everyday. It's what has kept me going, and I'm sure it's kept him strong too. He endured so much for me—to guide me, to restore me, to love me again—and now it's time for him to rest and let me help him. He deserves that peace after years of hardship. He deserves the world.

"Do you still remember the constellations?" I asked him, recalling our date in the town of Redwood. It was the night I fell in love with him again and got to see the kind light in him.

"I do," he said. "Do you?"

"Let me see..." I gazed up, focusing hard, trying to remember certain sequences of stars. Finally, I thought I got one and spoke up, "That one is...the 'Celestial River', right? And then Cetus. Um...what's the other one? Eridanus! Right?"

Jeff nodded, looking pleased at my memory.

"Haha, I haven't forgotten! I feel accomplished," I chuckled. "I never forgot..."

I looked down at Jeff's hand in mine, noting the way he squeezed so firmly. It felt so right, like our palms were meant to clasp one another. His skin, his warmth, the roughness of someone who had been going at a tough life—or more correctly, life had been going at him mercilessly. It didn't matter what scars he's had, he's beautiful to me always. I'll be there for him, always.