Chapter 4~ Jesse

Chapter 4~ Jesse

When I arrived at my new school I saw a room that had the words 'Front Office' carved onto a plaque hanging on the door. I assumed it was the front office, obviously, and stepped inside. I saw an old woman, probably in her late 30's early 40's, sitting at a desk typing something on her computer and a young girl, probably about my age, sitting in a chair beside the door. She was leaning her head on her fist with her eyes closed and I could hear the music blaring through her headphones from where I was standing.

"Um, excuse me." I said getting the elderly woman"s attention.

"Jesse Gonzalez?" she said questioningly.

I nodded my head and she pointed to the probably deaf by now teenage girl.

"Thanks." I said quietly as she answered the now ringing telephone.

I slowly walked over to the girl. I cleared my throat before tapping her on the shoulder. She looked up at me and my eyes immediately met the most beautiful pair of livid (Bluish-Gray) eyes they had ever seen. They were deep with confidence yet so flamed with anger. I didn't know if she was angry with me for interrupting her music or angry with someone else but I decided to apologize anyway.

"I-I'm sorry." I stumbled over the words as I got lost in her eyes and tried to find myself. "I didn't mean to anger you I-I just...." I continued to stumble, there was no way out, I was too lost in her eyes.

"That's ok, I'm not mad.....at you."she said saving me from looking like an even bigger fool. "You're the new kid Jesse Gonzalez, right?"

"Uh yeah. I'm Jesse, Jesse is me." I said sounding like an idiot. I just met this girl and already she makes me nervous.

She gave me a slight smile as she carefully wrapped her headphones around her iPod. It was the most beautiful smile I'd ever seen. This girl truly is beautiful there's no doubt in my mind that she and her group of friends own this school. Why is girl like her being something as nerdy as a welcoming buddy and, most importantly, why is she being genuinely nice to me?

"This is how this works. I have your schedule. I'll take you to your locker and show you how it works then we'll get your text books and I'll give you the tour around the school. Since I'm sure you don't have your schedule yet, 'cause that's how this piece of sh*t school works, you can have this copy when we're done." she said being as kind as she can with that anger still bubbling inside her. "Excuse my cursing, it's not toward you."

"It's ok, I understand." I said getting another little smile as she pulled a folded piece of paper out of her back pocket.

She carefully unfolded the paper and examined it.

"Uh, I didn't catch your name." I gave her a lame excuse to hear her voice again.

"It's Beca. Beca Lawson." she said.

I stuck my hand out and she shook it.

"Ready?" she asked.

"Yeah." I answered and she led me out the door.

I got one foot through the doorway and was stopped by a voice that I recognized as the lady's at the computer. I looked at her and she had a huge grin on her face.

"Good luck kid." She said.

I wasn't quite sure what she was talking about but I think I had an idea. I gave her a half smile and caught up with Beca, who didn't seem to notice I was lacking behind.