Chapter 26~ Jesse

Chapter 26~ Jesse

"Took you long enough. Did her tonsils taste good?" Justin asked as I sat in the car.

"Ha, that's good. Did you just come up with that?" I asked with sarcasm laced in my voice. He rolled his eyes and pulled away from the curb.

"So....how was the fam?" Justin asked trying to make conversation.

"Cool, I guess but I don't think her dad is particularly fond of me."

He chuckled a little, "Yeah, dad's usually don't like the boyfriends."

"You're telling me." I said and it went quiet for a little bit.

"What's that smell?" Justin asked and started sniffing around. "Dude, is that you?" He asked.

"I don't know, I don't smell anything."

"You smell like vanilla."

"Yeah, it's Beca's perfume."

"What did you do? Spray it on yourself?"

"No. I was in her room and it smells like vanilla." He glanced at me then looked back at the road.

"You were in her room?" He asked weirdly.

"Not like that and you know it." I said and he just laughed. "Just shut up and take me home, I'm tired."

"I bet you are." I punched his arm and it was quiet after that.

          ~

I awoke the next morning to find that it feels like there's a watermelon lodged in my throat. I rolled over and looked on my nightstand for my phone. It wasn't there, in fact, I don't remember bringing it home. Sh*t. That means it's either in Justin's car or at Beca's.

I groaned as I slowly pulled myself out of bed and slumped down the stairs to the kitchen.

"You don't look so good. Are you feeling ok sweety?" my mom asked. I tried to answer but nothing came out. "Why don't you just go lay down, I'll call you in."

I pointed at the coffee and she answered my question with a nod. I poured myself a cup then headed back upstairs to my room, grabbing the land line on the way. I set them on my nightstand and crawled back into my bed. I took a few more sips of my coffee letting the swelling  in my throat decrease before I tried to use the phone.

Finally, my throat felt well enough to talk so I picked up the phone and called Justin.

"Hello." Justin answered after the 3rd ring.

"Hey. Did I leave my phone and backpack in your car?" My voice sounded scratchy.

"Uh, no. I don't see it."

"Ok, thanks. I think I know where it's at." I said.

"Alright, I gotta get to school. Bye dude." Justin said then the line went dead. I pulled the phone away from my head and began dialing another number. I couldn't remember Beca's number right off the top of my head so, hoping it didn't die, I called my phone. It rang a couple of times then I heard a familiar voice.

"Jesse's phone." Beca answered with a joking tone. I chuckled a little.

"How'd you know it was me?"

"Caller I.D. says home. I took a guess."

"Right, caller I.D." I heard her giggle a little.

"You know, you can learn a lot about someone from their phone. Like for example, an 18 year old boy still has his mom saved in his phone as 'mommy'."