fourteen

Shownu woke up one morning and stared at the ceiling of his room. He heard his mom's footsteps and Mr Kim's. Guess they were going out again.

The male laid on his back and made imaginary figures using his hands. It was another Monday. Two weeks had passed since he last went to school.

Kihyun has been kind enough to collect his homework for him and putting in his mailbox.

Since he cannot go out, Kihyun had to send the homework through the postbox. It was weird to be honest. Its not as if Shownu WANT to do them anyway. But because Kihyun made an effort to send it to him, he did most of the work.

Just as he was about to figure out how to make a glowing unicorn, the door of his bedroom opened wide. There, stood, Mrs Son in her skimpy clothes and thick make up.

"Its the 25th...get your father to pay up" She said briefly before leaving.

Shownu sigh heavily as he looked at the clock beside his bed.

8am

He was late for school for about 30 minutes but that doesnt seem to bother him.

After sensing that his mother is out, Shownu went to the bathroom and have a nice shower.

He came out 15 minutes later and put on his school uniform. Shownu sigh at the thought of having to meet his father again and asking for money.

He hated seeing that man.

After wearing his shoes, Shownu exit his house and head outside to the bus stand.

He sent a text to Kihyun, saying that he is 'finally' going to school. It wasnt necessary but Shownu felt like Kihyun might want to know. And sure enough, Kihyun replied right away.

Kihyun : REALLY??!?!?! SEE YA LATER THEN!! you should have told me earlier so that I can prepare a pinata or something to celebrate!😒

A small chuckle escape from his mouth as the male board the bus. Mr Son's house wasnt really that far from his school. So he decided to head there first before going to school.

When he arrived, the house had an 'ON SALE' sign stuck into the ground at his front yard.

Shownu rubbed his nape. As far as he is concern, the last time he visited this house, there wasnt such sign.

He was about to walk off, thinking that this might be the wrong house when a middle aged lady called him.

"Shownu-ah!" She waved her hand before taking out boxes from her house.

Shownu turned around and smile warmly. It was Mrs Lee, Mr Son's new wife.

"How are you?" She approached the male and gave a warm hug.

Shownu nodded in response.

"Im fine...how are you? And...Mr Son?" He asked.

Mrs Lee sigh.

"Still not gonna call him dad?" She cross her arms.

Shownu shook his head.

"I understand....must be hard for you isnt it?...anyway, come in! I'll make some drinks for you" She pat his shoulder but the male declined.

"Its okay...I was actually heading to school when I realise that...ermm..today..is....." He mumbled softly.

Mrs Lee need not need Shownu to explain further. She understands him. Its been almost 10 years.

"I'll call him in a minute alright? In the mean time, you can have a seat at our front porch" She pointed at the small chair and table.

Shownu thanked her as the lady ran back inside her house.

Mrs Lee is one of the nicest lady that Shownu have ever met. She understands his situation even when she finds it difficult to accept the reality that her husband had a mistress once.

Instead of lashing out at Shownu, she gave him support and motivation because she treats him like her own son.

"What? Again? Tsk...that kid...when will he ever find his goddamn money" Shownu heard grumbling sounds coming from Mr Son as he walk down the stairs.

"Honey dont say that...that poor boy might hear you" Mrs Lee replied.

When Mr Son came out of the house, Shownu knew that this wasnt going to end well. His face looks angry and annoyed.

"What are you doing here? Didnt I tell you I'll extend your money for this month?" He cross his arms angrily.

Shownu got up and was about to shake his hands when the old man push them away.

Shownu silently stood there as he caressed the back of his hands where his father had pushed away roughly.

"Im sorry...but I need the money..for school" He answered politely.

Mr Son rolled his eyes.

"Till when are you going to ask me for money huh?" He stared at the boy in front of him.

"-till when must you rely on me?! YOU ARE BLOODY 17 YEARS OLD GODDAMMIT!" He shouted.

"-CANT YOU STOP BEING A BURDEN TO ME?!" He lashed out at the male as if he has been holding back his anger for far too long.

Shownu knit his brows in confusion.

"Why are you angry at--"

"YOU AND YOUR MOTHER ARE A BURDEN TO ME!! ALWAYS BEGGING FOR MONEY LIKE A DIRTY BEGGAR!"

"...but isnt that your responsibility as my father---"

"AM I?!" He asked the boy.

Shownu paused momentarily and stared at his father.

"......what??"

"Am I your father? Am I? Really?" Mr Son stared at the boy intently.

Shownu didnt know what to answer to the older. This must have been just Mr Son spouting nonsense.

Mr Son scoff before throwing all the bills at Shownu's face.

"Do you see all these things that I have to pay?! Huh?! Your mother has been sleeping around with guys and NOW, I HAVE TO CARRY HER BURDEN?!" He pointed at Shownu as if he is a piece of trash.

"-have you really asked her where did you came from?...I took the blame and paid you money every year but I realise that...you are not even mine!"

"-you are just a MISTAKE!" Mr Son said as if it didnt hurt Shownu's feelings.

"-your dad must have been some drug addict your mother had sex with and then you came out...I dont know...but what I know is..you are not mine...and from today onwards, dont bother coming here to get your money...coz I wont waste any more of my wealth on a piece of trash like you"

Mr Kim rolled his eyes before going back into his house.

-