Save Me/36/Don't let go

"Even if I die, you keep living okay? Live to see the end of this world, and to see why it was born. Live to see why a weak girl like me ended up here... And the reason why you and I met."

-Sachi(Sword Art Online)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guys, have I ever told you that I love Sam Smith? Well... now you know:)

Mikan

I open my mouth and stare around. They get ready to dance with their partners. All except my friends. Some of them at a table and the rest on the floor, staring at me.

I start to sing my own song, a little quietly at first and then louder as it goes. I can feel his eyes on me. He's listening closely to me, without avoiding his gaze. His shoulders are weak and tired. He hasn't slept well... But he still looks handsome in his suit.

I almost stop singing and run to him. I close my eyes and continue singing.

I forget that I'm supposed to steal Alices...

So when I finish my song I walk away from the stage and pass Joshua. He's so angry that he's about to freeze time.

"What are you doing?!"

I shake my head. "Isn't it too soon? They'll find out. I'll steal their Alices at the end of the dance." I snap and he crosses his arms.

"..." 

I walk away and sit by the stage.

"Rin."

I hesitantly look up.

Natsume...

I whip my head back and Joshua isn't there. I sigh but I shouldn't let my guard down yet. 

"Yeah?"

He stares at me so intensely that I'm about to run away. Did he find out?

"..." He walks past me and pats my head. I watch him walk up the stairs.

Where is he...?

"Nats-" I slap my mouth shut but keep watching him as he makes his way to the center of the stage.

"Hey-what are you-?" Takumi is dressed like Izaya so he tries to stop him from getting close to the microphone. Joshua watches closely.

Natsume makes it to the microphone and clears his throat before speaking. The music continues to play even as the people stop to look up at him.

We watch him silently, waiting for him to speak.

Why has he come up here?

Does he know of what we're doing?

What is he going to do?

I can't ask him, no matter what I do. I will get him killed, along with all my other friends.

"This isn't anything like me. I know." He swallows and takes a deep breath, "A couple of weeks ago, I wouldn't have done this very thing. Come up here and spoken through a microphone in front of everyone to hear. I have a message for someone." He says.

I can tell that he will probably do something more but I don't dare myself to move... to sit down and listen. I have to listen and look at him at the same time. I have to carefully listen to him because maybe I didn't do enough of that either.

All this time, I've been thinking about the things I will do but never the things that I must do. Why at a time like this?

Why has it taken this long to figure out?