Save Me/37/Together

"Once you meet someone, you never really forget them."

-Chihiro(Spirited Away)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Natsume

The petals float around us and the breeze silently blows the scent of them. If I had the ability to do so, I'd freeze this moment in time and stay in it forever.

Even if it meant never growing older or seeing my friends again.

I'd do it for her.

"Natsume..." She clutches the collar of my dress shirt and hides her face. She's ashamed. I don't care about what she's done. If she's okay, then that's good enough for me.

"It's okay." I rub my head in her hair and try to take up as much of her as I can. I had almost forgotten what her smell was like. "We're together again."

"It's not okay..." She mutters silently, "They're going to kill you. They're going to kill all of you-"

"I don't care." I say. "They can try but I won't let them. I'm done staying silent. I'm done regretting everything you know."

"I'm sorry..." She says again. I shake my head against her and pull her closer. 

"You don't need to apologize. I would have done the same." I say to make her feel better. I'm just glad they haven't done anything to Mikan. But they have still put her through a lot of stress. I can't forget that they made her take Imai's Alice. Then I remember what I had told Ruka earlier. "We can talk later... right now, we need to attack the Hunters. They're trying to take our Alices, aren't they?" She nods and looks back.

"I think I should go back."

I glare at her. "I think you should stay here."

"Natsume." She gently holds my face with both her hands placed on my cheeks and pulls me close so that our foreheads are touching again. "I need to do this. I can at least try to distract Joshua. I don't want you dying for me anymore."

I close my eyes tightly, wiping my tears. "Mikan... Don't do this. I can't lose you again."

"You won't"

"How can I be sure that you're not lying..." She pecks my lips and gets up, a smile on her face. I look at her hazel hues.

"Have I ever lied to you?"

"Yeah..." I chuckle and she does as well, then holds her hand out to me. I take it and she pulls me up.

"I think its about time that we get this over with. I'm tired of all of this drama and what not." She says, "There's a lot for me to tell you Natsume. For now I must warn you. The traitor is-"

She mouths the words and I widen my eyes as she talks.

"Hey guys... what are you doing here?" I hear from behind, my mind is still in shock.

"Tobita..." I mumble. I look back at Mikan who has her lips firmly shut. Sweat is running down her face and her brows are knitted in panic.

"Iincho..." Mikan says.

"Natsume and... Rin?" Tobita looks between us and then stares at me. "Hey... what is that on your lips?"

I rub my lips and find lip gloss. Unconsciously, I turn to look at Mikan whose face is drained of color. Oh poop.

"I... ate some greasy food. I guess I forgot to wipe it off." I take out my handkerchief and wipe the gloss but I slip up and drop the dang thing on the floor. Tobita picks it up for me and stares at it intensely.

"It's pink. What were you eating?" He narrows his eyes at me suspiciously. I decided to change the subject.

"Never mind that, how have you been? You've been absent for weeks. All I heard was that you were sick. So what was it?"

"I was diagnosed with a mysterious illness so I can't say anymore but I'm feeling better now, enough to attend this dance."

"Oh yeah, that's right... you've been gone even long before Kawasaki came here. Isn't that right?" I look at her and she nods. "Then how is that you happen to know who she is?"

This takes him by surprise that he starts to sweat too. He laughs it off, "I just heard today. I think it was Koko that told me all about it. Anyways... what are you two doing behind the stage? It's pretty quiet back here."

"I was just going to ask her to dance with me. It seems that she came back here to get some fresh air since its crowded. What about you? Why did you decide to come back here?" by now I'm stalling. I need him to take the bait and get away from here. I still need to talk to Mikan about a lot of things. I also have to watch out for Mikan so she doesn't get in trouble for talking to me. "I think that we should head out soon. You'll be singing another song, won't you Kawasaki?"

She shakes her head, avoiding any conversation. She looks back at Tobita in panic though. He seems to be communicating with her somehow. I don't know how but he has to have a way to do that.

"I came to check on Rin-san since I saw her get very emotional during your song, Natsume. I want to ask you once again... why are here? Together? That's not even grease is it? That's lip gloss.... specifically Rin's lip gloss. What have you two been doing? Rin?"

He looks between us, his anger rising.

By now it's too late... he's caught us...

To Be Continued~