special

"Hi."

Claire turned to look at the owner of the voice and smiled shyly. She was still trying to avoid telling Adrian what she was hiding from him.

After avoiding him all day, Adrian finally caught up with Claire before she could notice him.

"Hi." She replied.

"So, wanna tell me why you're avoiding me?"

"Pretty sure you already know why."

"Not really, no." He said and shifted his weight onto his other foot before leaning against her locker again. "I mean, we already established the fact that it's a judgement free zone here, between the two of us. So no, I'm not sure why you're avoiding me."

She stared at him for a bit, her eyes flickering between both of his.

Adrian noticed the conflict in her eyes and waited to see what the outcome of her inner thoughts would be.

"I..." She trailed off, looking sorrowful.

"What're you so afraid of?" He asked, trying to figure her out.

"I don't... It's not so simple Adrian. When I tell you, it will change your whole outlook on me."

After some silence, Adrian held his pinky out. "I promise that I won't look at you differently."

Looking at his pinky, she smiled. Although still sad because she knew that things would change, she intertwined her pinky with his as she accepted his promise.

"Do you trust me?" He asked her. "Do you trust me enough to tell me?"
He asked her, like he did once before.

Looking at his pinky, she knew that she trusted him. She knew she trusted him a lot more than enough because although they hadn't known each other for long, they had developed a strong relationship. In fact, it hadn't developed into a strong relationship because their relationship started off strong. She was helping a person in need, and they became more than just pseudonyms. But they started off strong.

With a newfound confidence, she looked up into his eyes. As soon as she made eye contact with him, she realized that she could tell him anything. She actually trusted him more than she had trusted anyone in her life. And that didn't just make him a friend, it made him someone more special.