possible repercussion

"What if he comes after me?" Claire asked, snuggling Adrian's blanket over her folded knees and onto her chin. She was sitting against the head board of his bed, while he was sitting the same way, except with one leg folded and the other, straight.

  "No one parent had legal custody over you, am I right?" As a response, she hummed. "So then, if we do have to confront any sort of legalities, there's nothing to be afraid of. In fact, if any of these people do find out, they'll see how incapable your so-called father is of housing you, and your full custody will be given to your mother."

  "And I should be okay with this?"

  "You're doing this for yourself. And so you don't have to be afraid of your own home." Adrian comforted.

  A few moments of silence passed. Adrian watched as Claire stared off into space, looking stressed and worried at the same time. He sighed and took one of her hands from her knees and intertwined his own with hers, squeezing it lightly.

  This didn't ease her worry, but she did feel comfort knowing that she had someone rooting for her. She adjusted herself so she could rest her head on his shoulder and then lightly squeezed his hand back before shutting her eyes. Before she realized, sleep overcame her right there, sitting on Adrain's bed.