their hug

"I don't think it's the right thing to be afraid of getting help. In getting rid of your so-called father. In finding a way for you to be away from him and all the problems he causes. You shouldn't be...afraid. At all. With your so-called father gone, you'd be able to have a good life somewhere else. Anywhere else. It's not fair for you to have to endure him and his cloud of gloom and misery that seems to not only follow him, but stand over you too. You need to take a step out from under that cloud and that'll happen when you report him." Adrian said, his anger, disgust and sadness pouring into each word. He never knew how much a person could want another to be happy. Because in that moment, he wanted to end Claire's suffering and just see her happy.

Smiling, Claire nudged his swing to get him out of his thoughts. "Why'd you say so-called father?"

"Because no actual father would treat his daughter like that." He said and then flicked his eyes here and there before speaking again, "I didn't-I was so... involved in my own misery, I didn't even think to acknowledge that everyone has problems in their life. Claire, I'm so- I just need you to know that I wish a better life for you. You don't deserve this. No one does."

Claire snorted before looking over at the seemingly distraught Adrian. She smiled at how much he was affected by her life. It showed how much he was willing enough to care. And how he stuck to his promise, and never left her or made any sign of judgment either, just pure concern.

"Hey Adrian?" She called out to him.

He turned his head towards. "Yeah?"

"Is that hug still available?"

He gave her a smile and stood up. She stood up as well and walked over to him, slipping her arms around his waist and resting her cheek on his shoulder. His arms wrapped around her back and he squeezed lightly, letting her know that he's there for her.

"You went through all that trouble to help me. You were so helpful because not only me, but everyone started seeing a change in me. I don't know what I have to do for you to be increasingly happier each day like you did for me, but I'm going to try my best, too. I'm going to try to make you have a happy home life."

Adrian's response seemed so different to Claire. She'd never had someone care for her happiness like that before and in that moment, she felt relaxed in his arms. Like everything will somehow, eventually, be happy.

Leaning back a bit, she looked up into his eyes and smiled. "You're amazing." She said, and not having anything else to say, she wrapped her arms around his neck, craving the feeling of calm he gave her again.