twenty (not) questions (again)

"Wanna play the question game again? It'll pass time until the food comes." Adrian asked.

"Sure."

"Why do you have such a weird vocabulary? Why can't you just say a curse word?"

"Because my dad's language is literally just cuss. That's all he does and all he ever is is drunk and angry. I don't like the aggressiveness behind the words because it...scares me I guess. So I just don't use them altogether." She said and shrugged at the last phrase. "Now, what did you do today that made you happy?"

Adrian let out a small laugh as the words escaped her mouth. "Really?"

"Yeah, haven't heard this in a while, so I thought, why not?"

"This, right now, is making me very happy." He said with a smile.

Claire felt her chest do whatever it is chests do when the heart becomes infected.

"Your turn." She said with a soft smile on her face.

"Did your mom contact you or anything since that day we saw her here?" He asked.

"Um, come to think of it, I think she might have left a voicemail or called. I remember that day when we first met, I came home and found the house phone broken to bits, so it makes sense if it was her. My dad turns livid when it comes to her." She said, recalling how he drank more than usual that day as well. "But other than that, no. I haven't seen her since then. Maybe she's gone again." She said and shrugged. Shrugged because she really didn't know where her mother was and shrugged to shrug away the little hurt she felt inside. She still wished her mother would somehow help her get away from her father. Even though Claire didn't want to live with her, it'd be nice to know that she cared.

"Your turn." He said, tilting his head, waiting for her to continue.

"More a favour, than a question." She said and Adrian nodded for her to continue. "Can we not, like, talk about depressing stuff right now?"

"But I need to figure out-"

"I know, and you will." She said, cutting him off. "But for now, can we just have fun? Enjoy ourselves? Please?" She asked.

Noticing her desperate eyes, he realized that she could use some time to just enjoy herself without having to worry about her broken home, so he nodded with a smile.