my name is no

Claire played with her fingers as she waited for Adrian to arrive at the same diner they went to when they first met.
Her dad had left for the night so she was safe to leave without him finding out.
Adrian had insisted that they deserved to have some fun and just hang out like normal friends do on a Friday night. Excited about spending more time with him, she obviously agreed.

"Hey." He said, giving her a big smile as he slid onto the seat in front of her.

"Hey yourself." She replied with a grin.

"How's your leg doing?" He asked as he settled himself. He took off the light jacket he had to wear because of the cold wind.

"The pain's almost gone." She replied.

"Was everything okay at home before you came?"

She smiled. "Yeah, dad wasn't home so I'm good."

As she said that, a sudden thought popped into his mind. "Remember we saw your mother that day? The first time we talked?"

She grimaced. "Yeah, I remember that clearly. Pulled you into the family drama before we even spoke."

Giving her a small smile, he replied, "I pulled you into mine before I even knew you existed."

She laughed. "Well that's nice."

"Anyways, what about her?"

"What about her?" She asked back, confused about what he was insinuating.

"Can't she take you in? There wasn't a big custody battle that prohibits her from doing that, was there?"

"No." She replied. She already knew the response to his question the second he opened his mouth but she let him finish for his satisfaction.

"But she's your-"

"No." She said, sternly.

"-mom." He finished.

"And my dad's my dad." She said and moved her hands to her head, making the 'mind blown' hand gesture. "They're both donkey-holes for different reasons. So, no."

"Really?" He asked, giving it one more shot.

"Adrian," she said and closed her eyes for a moment, trying to figure out how to get her point across. "I'm not going to leave one poophole to end up in another one."

"So, no." He said, finishing her thought for her.

"Exactly, no." She said and her mouth twitched upwards.

Adrian raised an eyebrow. He already knew she was thinking of something funny, something she did every time their conversation got heavy. Finding out what was making her laugh was the best part, because it was almost always the most random thing.

"We said 'no' so many times I'm starting to feel like Meghan Trainor." She said and laughed. "Ask me my name." She said with a big smile.

"What's your name?" He asked, to amuse her.

"No."

"What's your sign?"

"No."

"What's your number?"

"No." She said and moved in her seat as she sang the rest of the song. "You need to let it go, you need to let it go, need to let it go. Nah, to the ah to the no, no, no."