promises explained

"We need to start planning." Adrian said, pure determination on his face. His eyes filled with intent.

"Are we getting married?" Claire jokingly asked and ignored the little flutter in her chest.

"No." He dead-panned. "We need to find a way to get you away from your dad."
She looked at him and sighed. "Listen, I told you. I'm fine with him 'til I'm 18. I don't want to end up 5 cities away in a completely unknown place." She explained.

"I get that but don't you know what these kind of situations lead up to? I've read news stories about people having to change their names and flee from their violent past for the rest of their life. I'm not going to let that happen to you."

"Look, I absolutely love the way you are so willing to take on anything. It really makes me so happy, but-"

"No buts. You said it yourself, I'm willing to go to any measures." He said and looked down. "I couldn't help my sister and I lost her. Now I care about you, you've really changed my broody soul you know." He said and smiled. "I'm not going to lose you, too."

Claire looked down at their intertwined hands as she thought over his words. Could he maybe feel for her as more than a friend too?