Six

Phase Two. What the hell is Phase Two? What did Rat Man mean by that? I thought we were done. We escaped the Maze and everything. We just got out of hell to be put in another one?

Rat Man sat back in his chair. "You may think, or it may seem, that we're merely testing your ability to survive. On the surface, the Maze Trial could be mistakenly classified that way. But I assure you - this is not merely about survival and the will to live. That's only part of this experiment." What the klunk is he talking about? "The bigger picture is something you won't understand until the very end."

Rat Man began explaining the Flare. How it takes a while for it to set in and show any symptoms. The only reward is the cure. I remember the video back in WICKED headquarter's. Those people going crazy. Those so-called Cranks the guys were talking about. I remembered during the Changing about my parents going crazy. Was that the Flare? Is that going to happen to me? Is that going to happen to any of the Gladers?

He continued. "We know you now. All of you. It doesn't matter what I say or what's behind the mission of WICKED. You'll all do whatever it takes. Of this we have no doubt. And by doing what we ask, you'll save yourselves by getting the very cure so many people desperately want."

I heard Minho groan before Thomas shushed him. Minho probably had some smartass remark. I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit disappointed. I rolled my eyes at the pair before raising my hand. "What's Phase Two?"

Some of the Gladers nodded their heads in agreement. Janson - I mean, Rat Man - only talked about WICKED and the Maze Trials, aka Phase One. He kept saying Phase Two without mentioning what it is.

Rat Man send me a little glare before looked at the messy stack of papers and clearing his throat. What did I ever do to him? "Phase Two. The Scorch Trials. It's officially begins tomorrow morning at 6. You'll enter this room, and in the wall behind me you will find a Flat Trans. To your eyes the Flat Trans will appear as a shimmering wall of gray. Each of you must step through it by five minutes after the hour. So again, it opens at 6 and closes five minutes after that." Rat Man gave me a pointed look. "Do you understand?"

What is this guy's problem? I only asked a simple question. I only remember him through the Changing, but that's it. I don't remember him from WICKED or anything. And the way he was staring gave me the creeps.

No one spoke. "I'm quite certain you can all hear," Rat Man said. "Do...you...under...stand?"

I glared up at him. "Yes, we understand. We're not shuck in the heads," I snapped.

"Danny," Newt whispered.

Rat Man ignored my outburst. "Good." He picked up another piece of paper. "At this point, the Scorch Trials will have begun. The rules are simple." Now there are rules. "Find your way to the safe haven within two weeks' time and you'll have completed Phase Two. At that point, and only at that point, you'll be cured of the Flare. That's exactly two weeks - starting the second you step through the Trans. If you don't make it, eventually you'll end up dead."

I wanted to open my mouth, but, with the warning look Newt sent me, I decided otherwise. I thought some other Glader would have spoken, but none did. Shuck, Minho even kept his mouth shut. Rat Man slammed the folder shut before putting it back in the drawer. He stood up and folded his hands in front of him before he looked at us.

"It's simple really. There are no rules. There are no guidelines. You have few supplies, and there's nothing to help you along the way. Go through the Flat Trans at the time indicated. Find open air. Go one hundred miles, directly north, to the safe haven. Make it or die."

Wow, way to boost our confidence. Make it to this place or die. But that snapped everyone out of their trance and they started firing questions.

"What's a Flat Trans?"