Fourteen

I was shocked that I wasn't greeted by the blazing sun. I was greeted with harsh winds and the cloudy sky. My clothes were tight enough to not flap in the wind like most of the Gladers here. I looked for my sheet, but the wind must have blown it. The harsh winds made it hard for us to talk. Minho decided that we should leave and head towards the buildings while it's still like this. At least we don't have the scorching heat.

"How far?!" I shouted through the harsh winds.

Newt squinted his eyes to get a better view. "Not much! The city's getting closer! 30 minutes at most!"

We continued to walk. "What happens if we run into some Cranks?!" Thomas yelled.

"Then we send Tiger on them!" Minho responded. "She distracts them while we run!"

I glared at Minho. Seriously? "Or how about I push Minho in front of them?!" I'm sure they'll love to rip his hair off.

We were so caught up that we didn't see the figure laying on the ground. The figure was wrapped around some sheets. We walked closer to the old man. It looked like the sun just kissed his skin. Old, leathery, very dark skin. There were a few scabs here and there, not to mention there were a few bald patches. Like if he was ripping his own hair out. His eyes were wide and his breathing came out hollow. He's barley alive.

I felt someone push me towards the man and I turned to see Minho giving me a pointed look. "What?" I sneered.

He rolled his eyes. "You're the she-bean. You should talk to him."

I shook my head at him. "Why should I? You're the leader."

"Exactly. I'm valuable. Just talk to him, shuckface."

I glared at him again before I knelt down to the old man's level. I waved my hand in front of his face, but he doesn't move. He doesn't even blink. Shuck, he didn't move. I don't think he could.

I cleared my throat. "Hello, sir? Are you all right?" I felt Minho hit the back of my head. "Ow. What was that for?"

"The guy is more burnt than Frypan's bacon. Of course, he's not all right."

I gestured towards the old man. "You wanna talk to him, then?" Minho shook his head. "Thought so." I looked back at the guy. "My name's Danielle. These are my friends." The guy didn't say anything, but looked at the sky. "Um, how - how long have you been out here?"

Nothing.

Thomas came down next to me. He shook the man's shoulder. "Sir, can you talk? Speak?"

"This guy's a bloody gold mine if we can get him to tell us stuff about the city. Looks harmless, probably knows what to expect when we go in there," Newt said through the wind.

I sighed. "Maybe he doesn't. I don't think he can hear us. What if -"

I was cut off when the old guy shot up and roughly grabbed my wrist. We all screamed as I tried to pull my wrist away. Thomas and Newt were on the guy trying to pull him off me, but the guy had a strong grip.

"They're very mad at you," He sneered. I panted as I tried to get his hand off. "They're coming...before it's too late." He said some other things, but it was muffled.

"What?!"

I could barley hear the words. "Storm coming...full of terror...brings out...stay away...bad people." I winced as the guy tightened his grip. "Storm! Storm! Storm!"

Newt and Thomas were gritting their teeth as they struggled to pull the guy off. "Guys, a little help!" Thomas shouted.

Aris and Minho ran over. They tugged on the guy, but he wasn't budging. I grit my teeth together in pain. I have to do something.