Thirteen

"You're one of them! You helped! I saw you, you traitor!" Ben yelled.

Wait, what's going on? I know this. Ben got up after the Changing and almost killed Thomas and me. Why - Why am I dreaming about this?

"Thomas, go!" I shouted without looking back.

Ben removed my grip from his arms and flipped us over. He wrapped his hands around my throat and began choking me. I held on to one of his hands trying to pry it off while using the other to scratch his face.

"You're a traitor, Dan. You need to pay," Ben snapped as I gasp for air.

And this is where Thomas comes and hits Ben with the skull, but that never came. I kept scratching at my throat as I tried to push Ben off me.

"Ben...Ben," I felt myself gasping.

He let out a venomous chuckle. "They always liked you. They always liked you until you betrayed them. They're mad at you. Very very mad."

Black spots started to form in my vision. My grip weakened. "Ben -"

He started to laugh again. "Say hi to Chuck for me."

Without another word Ben brought me up and bashed my head on the ground. He did it again and again and again. Each hit came more pain as I felt blood drip from the back of my head.

"Danny," He sang before he brought me head down again. "Danny."

"Danny," Someone said as they shook me awake.

My eyes opened as I shot up and started gasping. I looked around to see I'm not in the Glade, Ben didn't kill me. I squinted my eyes as the light started getting unbearable. Newt was covering both our heads with one of the sheets the best he could as he gave me a concern look.

"You alright?" He asked.

I looked around at the remaining Gladers to see them giving me a worried look. I can't have them worry about me, so I nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just wish I have a hair tie or a pair of scissors for my hair. This heat is killing me."

"Oh," He ripped a piece of the sheet before he handed it to me. "It's not much, but it's better than nothing."

I smiled in thanks before I grabbed the ripped sheet and started putting my hair up. I sighed before I got up and grabbed the sheet on the ground and shook it. I started to wrap myself. I've been up for three minutes and I feel like I got a tan already.

"Let's go!" Minho yelled. I started to yawn, but Minho pointed at me. "No yawning, Slinthead."

I felt my eye twitch. "You can't tell me what to do."

"Who's the leader here? That's right, not you."

I glared at him. I just had about enough of Minho and his stupid comments. I was about to beat the klunk out of him, but Newt held me back. Minho gave a satisfying smirk before walking ahead. That shank. I grabbed a small apple from my bag and threw it at his head. He let out a yelp before he glared at me.

He picked up the apple from the ground and wiped the dust off. "Thanks for breakfast," He said before taking a big bite out of it.

He turned around and starting walking again. Ugh! Minho, I'm starting to hate you.

》》》》

We didn't talk, we didn't run. Our food supply was running low. I could feel my stomach growl, but I had to ration my food in case we couldn't find any in the city. It's to hot to do anything except walk towards it. It got closer and closer. I couldn't stop the small pit of excitement that threatened to come out. Please let there be shade.

The streets looked dead in my view. My best guess is that we should be able to reach it by tomorrow. The moment we reach the city we better get some sleep. Good sleep, not four hours.

Minho had us walk till midnight. Neither of us have said a word to each other and some of the Gladers looked scared. Like if we were about to explode and start another fight. One that he will lose, by the way. I set my pack as far away from him as possible before I laid down. I looked up at the sky until I felt myself falling asleep again.

Chuck and I were playing tag. He kept running around the Glade as I pushed each Glader to get to him. "Come on, Elle, you've got to be faster than that," He laughed.

I chuckled as I got closer. I was about to grab him, but he made a mad dash towards the woods. "Get back here, Chucky!" I yelled as I ran after him.

I could hear his laughs as I pushed past the trees. I could see Chuck's running figure zig zagging everywhere. Man, he's fast.

"Come on, Elle," He sang.

"Chuck, hold on," I panted.

He didn't wait. He kept on laughing. I lost my balance and tripped over a branch. I grunted as I looked up and couldn't find Chuck. My eyes widen. Where's Chuck? I got up and started looking everywhere.

"Chuck!" I called out. "Chuck!"

My chest started pounding as I turned my head left and right. I jumped over the small log and kept calling him, but he wouldn't answer. I checked by the Deadheads, but he wasn't there. I kept pushing myself and kept calling his name.

"Chuck!"

"Elle!" He finally answered. I stopped and spun around. "Elle!"

I started panting as I sprinted towards his voice. There stood Chuck in the middle of the forest with his back facing me. I let out a sigh of relief. "You scared me there, Chucky." He didn't answer me. "Chuck." Nothing. "Chuck!"

Suddenly, Chuck fell to the ground with a dagger in his chest. I started screaming as I see his chest covered in blood and his lifeless eyes looked at me. I heard a laugh and looked up to see Ben pointing a machete at me.

"Danielle's been a bad girl. A bad bad girl." He tilted his head to the side in a predatory manner. He started to chuckle again as he sang, "Ready or not, here they come."

I furrowed my eyebrows. Ben just laughed again before he threw his machete at me. I gasped as I felt the sharp pain hit my chest. I looked down at the machete before looking back up and collapsed on my knees. Ben came over and grabbed the hilt before he pulled it out. I grunted as the metallic taste of blood filled my mouth. Ben grabbed the back of my head and tilted it back. He let out another laugh before he brought the machete up and sliced my head.

I gasped awake as I felt the wind blow harshly at me. It feels like someone is trying to rip me apart as part of my sheets danced in the wind. I kept panting, I don't know if it was from the nightmare or because how cold it is. I sighed as I laid back down. What the hell is happening to me? Why am I having these dreams? Why do they all involve me dying? First it was me dying back in the Homestead, then back at the Deadheads by Ben, and now this. I've have nightmares before, but those felt real. Too real if you ask me.

I looked towards Newt's sleeping figure a few feet away from me. I slowly got up and made my way over, making sure I didn't wake any of the other Gladers. Minho I don't mind. That shuckface deserves it. I sat down and just looked at him. Newt looked so peaceful, so carefree. I wonder what he's dreaming of. I pushed some hair away from his eyes before I laid down. As on instinct, Newt wrapped his arm around me and brought me closer. I turned to my side and he shifted so his head was near my neck.

I smiled as I felt his breath tickle the back of my neck. I wrapped my hand around his and laced our fingers together. I need to savor these small moments because I don't know if they might be my last. When they might be my last.

》》》》

A/N: What does Danielle mean by that? Why is she getting these nightmares? Will she and Minho ever rekindle their friendship? I hate it when they fight.