Thirty-Eight

You know that moment where everything is in slow motion. That everything and everyone around you is going really slow. That's what I feel. I spot the creature I was going to attack. There was enough of these creatures for each of us. That isn't coincidence. That was WICKED's plan all along.

Five feet. Three feet. The creature and I came face to face. Its nasty blades were pointed at me as the little orange bulbs started to pulse. This thing wants me dead. But it's not going to get me.

The creature ran at me and swung one of its blades. I rolled out of the way before using my bat to whack the thing on the back of the head. It tore part of the head, but no brains, no blood came out. I thought it would let out a screech, but it just turned around and faced me again. It swung at me again, but I moved my bat to block its blade. Then I began swinging left and right. The spikes from the bat kept tearing part of the creatures skin. At least I hope that's skin.

Every swing the creature would step back. I aimed high this time, but the creature moved its head back. That's what I wanted it to do. I kept down and swung at the creature's kneecap. I had to cover my eyes as the bulb exploded and little fireworks came out. The creature stopped for a minute before it tried to attack me again.

I swung the bat across the things torso, breaking even more bulbs. The creature stopped again before it tried to hit me again. The movements were much slower this time. I furrowed my brows before slashing another bulb from the creature's arm. It stopped again for a second before it attacked. The creature looked like it was limping. That's when it hit me.

The bulbs. It must be connected to the creature somehow. If I destroy all the bulbs then the creature might die. Could it really be that easy? The creature roared at me this time. I guess not.

The creature tried to kick me, but I ducked under the blade before swinging my bat at another bulb. I swung again and broke the bulb on the creature's lower back. The monster halted for a full second, then went back into attack mode.

I swung again and popped more bulbs. Pop, crack, sparks. That's the main pattern here. At least it was for a few seconds. One of the creature's blades came up and slashed across my cheek. A few centimeters near my eye. But I couldn't give up and kept going.

More bulbs kept popping, the creature pauses got a but more longer. That means I was able to pop more bulbs. The creature kept trying to stab me, but I moved out of the way and swung some more. The main target is those stupid bulbs...probably their version of zits.

And maybe this creature will finally die and I could help the others. Then this stupid test could finally end.

But things weren't always that easy. There was this blinding light that flashed from my side. It was like  this huge power source decided to explode and the force knocked me on my side. The creature flew back as well, and that's when I could smell the burnt stench. I looked behind to see this massive black hole in the ground, charred and smoking. One of the creature's arm and leg was near the edge, but that was it. No body. No nothing. Shuck, lightning finally struck.

Left and right, lightning came crashing down. I noticed Gladers and Group B were moving out of the way to avoid getting struck, all except one. One girl screamed, soon enough that burning smell came back. I was about to get up, but someone collided with my body and sent us rolling. Just then, lightning stuck my spot. Exactly where I was.

Newt was breathing heavily as he held me close. We looked at my old spot to see the creature dead. Most of its body burnt from the lightning strike. Jorge, Brenda, and Tony were not that far from us, fighting their own monsters.

"We need to get to the pods!" Newt yelled. I didn't need to be told twice.

"What about the others?!" I shouted as more lightning zigzag through the sky.

"They'll figure it out!"

Newt grabbed my hand and hauled us up. We sprinted towards the pods. One of the creatures came at us. I ran ahead of Newt and swung up. The nail slashed the creature's chin, sending it back. We didn't wait for the pause. We just kept going. Thomas and Teresa had the same idea and slid in. Soon enough Brenda and Jorge followed. But where's Tony?

I skid to a stop. Newt stopped as well and gave me a confused look. "What, Danny?"

"Where's Tony?" I looked around the field. My eyes widen when I see one of the creatures on top of him. Tony had a machete as a weapon and used it to block the creature's blade. I ran over and brought my bad up before swinging it across the creature's head. The creature fell to it's side and I pulled Tony up.

I noticed blood was coming from the corner of his mouth. Tony spat on the ground before wiping his mouth. "Nasty little bitch." He looked at me. "You ok?"

"We should be asking you that," Newt said as he finally caught up.

Tony nodded. "I am. Just a bit surprised you guys came back."

"You swore to protect me," I answered. "The least I could return the favor." For the first time, Tony smiled. I looked at Newt. "How much time do we have?"

Newt pulled out his watch. "One minute." Shuck.

Then there was another crack. Followed by a loud humming and whirling. We furrowed our brows as we looked towards the sky. Thunder kept clapping as lightning stuck. But this huge machine started to fly down. It lowered itself till it was at least 30 feet off the ground. The huge, round ship that saved Thomas after he was shot was here. The Berg.

The Berg flew down till the cargo doors started to open. Oh, shit. We're not suppose to go in the pods. We were suppose to go in the Berg. That's the real safe haven.

"Guys," I breathed. I pointed towards the opening. "We need to go there."

Tony and Newt exchanged a look. Newt grabbed my hand before we sprinted towards the Berg. A few people from the group had the same idea. We ran towards the cargo door, but the creatures were blocking the only entry way. The people in the Berg were doing nothing to help. They just watched.

"Go right through 'em!" Thomas yelled.

That's the plan. Since a few bulbs of these creatures were broken anyway, their movements should be slow. I let go of Newt's hand and gripped the bat with both hands. I got my stance ready to swing. I yelled as I swung my bat and hit the bulb near the creature's head. The creature staggered back, but I still need to hit two more of the bulbs. I spun around and stuck the bulb near the monster's torso. Then I finished it off with a kick to the abdomen. The creature screeched before it dropped to the floor. Dead.

I looked around to see if anyone needed help, but they didn't. The creatures around us were dead. It was all over.

"It's leaving!" Thomas screamed. I looked up to see the entrance of the ship was slowly moving off of the ground. "Hurry!"

I grabbed Newt and ran with him towards the ship. Thunder boomed around us. We both held on to make sure the other doesn't fall. Minho and Tony ran next to each other. The Berg was about three feet off the ground. A few Gladers and the girls reached it first and started climbing in.

The cargo door was about knee high when Newt and I jumped in. We rolled a few feet away before we heard a girl scream. We looked to see her holding on to the edge, but was slowly slipping. We got up and ran towards her. He grabbed one arm and I grabbed another. We yanked her in before we collapsed on our backs. Breath coming out heavy.

Did we - Did we actually make it? We made it through the Cranks, through the lightning, through those hideous creatures. Oh, my god. We actually made it. I was so happy. I smiled and pulled Newt for a kiss. Newt seemed surprised at first, but he returned it just as eagerly and happy as I am. Newt pulled away and he was smiling just as wide as I am. I couldn't help but let out a happy chuckle before I grabbed the collar of his shirt and crashed our lips again.

But that was short lived when we heard from behind us. "Who are these three people?"

》》》》

A/N: One more chapter left!!!

*Not edited.*