Twenty-Two

Lay low. That's all Tony asked me to do. Just to follow him and lay low. Well, how am I suppose to lay low if I don't even know why I'm laying low for. We've walked through this broken city. Windows were shattered. People screaming left and right, making me jump out of my skin. People kept hollering. I had to cover my eyes when one started running...in his birthday suit.

"Don't let anyone see you," Tony said. "If you think it's dangerous in a city like this in the morning, imagine the horrors of it when it comes to the night. The insane stay in, the even more insane stay out."

Part of me is afraid to ask this, but... "And what part of the city are we going in?"

"Do you want me to tell the truth?"

I slowly shook my head. "No. Not really."

Newt walked next to me and scoffed. "That's bloody reassuring. Danny, you don't need him. Just wait for the right moment and run."

Chuck nodded. "Then we can die together."

I shook my head. "I can't."

Newt gave me a confused look. "And why not? Isn't this what you wanted? To kill yourself before you become like - like..." he glared at Tony "...him? I mean, that is why you ran away from me didn't you?"

"I didn't want to run away from you."

Newt stopped and grabbed my shoulders. "But you did. You ran because you're scared. You think you're running for survival. No, you're just a coward."

"No, I'm not."

He shook me vigorously. "You're a bloody coward! One bad memory of Chuck and you start crying like a shuck baby. You cry every time someone brings him up. Maybe you should kill yourself instead."

"I -"

He motioned towards my bat. "In fact, do it right now. Get this thing over with. Just don't expect me to grieve over you. I won't and I'll make sure our friends won't, too."

"Shut up!" I screamed. "Just shut up! Get out of my head!" I grabbed my hair and started yanking on it. "Get out. Get out. Get out!"

Chuck pointed at me. "Elle the little Runner that couldn't." Then he laughed. "Do it. Do it. Kill yourself."

"Ahh!" I closed my eyes and swung my fist. I felt my fist collide with something before they fell down with a hard thud. I quickly opened my eyes to see Tony on the ground, groaning. My eyes widen. "Shuck, I'm so sorry, Tony."

He held his hand up. "No, I'm sorry. I'm the Crank, I should have known when not to come near a crazy person."

"I'm not crazy," I objected.

Tony got up and started dusting himself. "Right? A crazy person wouldn't scream at nothing. Or talk to the air. Or would they start pulling out her own hair. Especially talk to their dead brother and boyfriend." He rubbed his cheek, the small bruise starting to show. "Good punch though."

"I'm starting to regret telling you that."

He placed his hand over his heart. "Ouch, that hurts. I may be a Crank, but I still have feelings."

I glared at him. "Like your little buddy and his friends who wanted to turn me into their bitch?"

"Hey, that was them. I wasn't going to actually put that leash on you. Do you really think I'm that kinky? At least not on the first date."

I rolled my eyes and pushed past him. "Let's just go."

"You don't even know where you're going."

I spun around and snapped at him. "Because you won't tell me anything. I told you - no, you made me tell you - about my little breakdown."

"Yeah, because you started screaming like if someone was going to murder you."

"Because I'm insane, don't you get it! I have the Flare. I'm becoming one of those things. I'm becoming a Crank. I'm losing my freaking mind and I can't control it. So whoever told you to protect me is just wasting their breath because I'm going coo coo for Cocoa Puffs!"

Tony crossed his arms. "Do you really think you're going insane?" He asked calmly.

I could feel my eye twitch. "What part of I'm hallucinating my brother don't you get? I got the Flare, so of course I'm losing my mind."

Tony took a step closer. "No, you don't. I've been a Crank for as long as I've remembered. I've met other Cranks, sure they'll want to eat your eyeballs, but none of them started hallucinating anyone or anything."

"Well, I guess I'm just that special," I snapped. "Don't even try to convince me that I don't have the Flare. I know I do. That's why me and my friends were going to the safe haven. They getting that cure, not me. So if you think that -" I was cut off when Tony came over and slapped me across my face. My mouth flew open as my hand went to my cheek. "Did you just slap me?"

"You punched me," he retorted. "And it got you to shut up." He sighed while pinching the bridge of his nose. "Fine, I'll tell you. There's a party going on in one of the buildings. There's a guy there, Wade. Richest bastard this city ever has."

"So, what? Are we going to it?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because he has something that we both need."

"And what's that?"

"Well, maybe you should shut up and let me finish." I glared at him before crossing my arms and motioned for him to continue. "Anyway. Wade is having an auction. Priceless artifacts, something useless, you name it. We are going in, exchange a few words, grab what we need, then get our asses out of there."

And what does he think I need?

"How are you going to get what you need? We don't exactly have any money." Does money even exist anymore?

"You leave that to me."

》》》》

A/N: I lied. Next chapter is the big reunion. Who should reunite with her first?

*Whispers* Minho....

Just kidding...

Or am I?....

Just kidding again..

Or maybe I'm not...

Nah, I'm messing with you...

Maybe that's what I want you to think...

Lol, this time I'm kidding.

Comment on your guess.

And I'm sorry for this short crappy, not edit, chapter.