Thirty-Seven

I don't know what we should do. These weird pod things aren't opening. And for some reason, Teresa decided to walk towards the group. Minho and I exchanged a look before we rolled our eyes.

"So what do we do?" He asked. He didn't hide his annoyed look from Teresa. Shuck, I don't want her to be part of this conversation.

Newt was the one who answered. "If those things have bloody Grievers in 'em, we better start gettin' ready to fight the shuck buggers."

"What are you guys talking about?" Harriet asked as she and Sonya made their way over, Jorge and Brenda right behind them.

"Oh, great," Minho muttered in distaste. "The two queens of glorious Group B."

Harriet ignored his comment. "I'm assuming you all saw those pods back in your WICKED chambers, too. They had to be where the Grievers charged up or whatever it was they did."

Newt nodded. "Yeah. Gotta be that."

Thomas sighed as he checked his watch. "We've only got twenty-five minutes. We're either gonna be fighting Grievers or we need to get inside those big coffins at the right time."

"Or we might have to do both," I piped up.

Thomas shrugged. "Maybe they're the -"

He was cut off when this loud hiss spread through the air. The group and I had to cover our ears while we watched the pods move. They moved while the small doors began opening. The Gladers and the other group got close to us, not knowing what's about to happen.

The lids kept moving until they swung open and dropped to the ground. I furrowed my eyebrows when I saw something bulky laying inside each pod. They don't look like Grievers. Nothing was moving, but why release something if it's not going to do anything. That's what I want to know.

My eyes widen when Tony started walking towards the thing. I reached over and grabbed his arm. "What are you doing?"

"I'm going to check it out," Tony stated plainly. Like if he's done this a million times. The storm was getting worst. This time you could hear the thunder as lightning struck.

Minho nodded as he took a step forward. "For once, I agree with the Crank." He looked at Thomas. "Thomas! You, me, Newt, Tiger, and Tony! Let's check it out!"

No one made a move though. I let out a small gasp when the thing that was inside one of the pods started moving. A hand hung over the edge, four disfigured fingers, wiggled and tried to grasp something as if it was trying to get out. The creature didn't look right. Its leg flopped out, its foot a fleshy mess, four knobs of toes wriggling as much as the fingers. Where the elbow and knees should be, there was this small bulb that was almost glowing a light orange.

"What is that thing?" Minho asked.

No one knew the answer. I wasn't that shocked that no one did. Soon enough, more of these monsters started to come out of their pods. Each one finding something to hold on to before it started to pull itself out. One of them fell to the floor. It's body resembling a human's, but it had these growths that spread all over its body, all shining that brilliant orange color. When I said it had the growth all over its body, I really mean all over its body. From its chest to back, to its head. The thing didn't have any that could have resembled a face, only the head.

The monster slowly got up and faced us. It swayed a bit before gaining its balance. Each creature in the pods got up and turned towards us. I was a bit scared to move. The creatures raised their arms to the sky. All at once, thin blades started to shoot out of their stubby fingers. It was like they were covering themselves with their own armor. Head to toe these blades came out. Then a creepy little moan came out from one of them.

I'm starting to like the Grievers a lot more. Then I started to count each creature. There's thirty of them and thirty of us. Oh, my god.

Minho had the same thought when he spun around and faced the group. "There's about one for each of us! Grab whatever you got for a weapon!"

Then it was like someone pressed a start button on the creatures. Because they started to move towards us. They actually started to move towards us. Newt pulled me closer to him while Tony stood in front of us. I gripped my bat as Minho and Harriet readied the group. Ok, now I wish these were the Grievers we were facing. They were only twenty-five feet away.

"I got the ugly one!" Tony shouted.

"Which one is the ugly one?" Newt asked.

"Fair point." Jorge came over and handed Tony and Newt a machete before pulling out one of his own. "Stay close to me."

"I think we got it covered," I said, but I couldn't hide that small quiver in my voice.

"You sure about that, chica?" Jorge asked.

I nodded. But those things are going to surround us if we just stand here in a circle. So, maybe staying close isn't a good idea. Minho had the right idea as he held his weapon up.

"Now!" He shouted. "Let's get them!"

》》》》

A/N: OMG, two chapters left. The biggest fight is the next, and probably the longest, chapter.

*Not edited.*