Thirty-Four

I grabbed Harriet and pinned her to the ground. My bat near her throat, but the nails not piercing her skin.

"Where the hell is Thomas, you shank?!" I sneered.

Harriet glared up at me. "We don't know."

Not a good enough answer. I brought the bat closer to her neck, almost choking her. A few people from Group B held up their weapons, but Sonya raised her hand and stopped them.

"We really don't know," she tried. "He must have snuck away when we weren't looking."

"Right? And I'm a freaking fairy here to save us," I snapped. "Thomas isn't here the same time Teresa isn't, I'm not buying that for one second. So I'm going to ask all you shuckfaces one last time, where's Thomas?" Harriet opened her mouth, but I held the bat closer. This time one of the nails pierced her neck, just not deep enough to do serious damage. "And I better get the truth, otherwise heads will roll."

"Danny, I swear we don't know," Sonya rushed out.

I gave her a look as I got off Harriet and pointed my bat at her as I took a threatening step forward. "Do you realize what you guys have done? You let that bitch play all of you. You guys made her your leader. You guys know that she wanted Thomas dead. Yet, none of you thought to keep a close eye on her."

"And you didn't watch Thomas," Harriet pointed out. "We're not the only ones to blame."

I hate to admit it, but she's right. I knew that they were out to kill Thomas. I tried to protect him. But now he's off with Teresa somewhere. What if she kills him? I can't lose another friend. I lost Chuck, I can't lose Thomas.

Suddenly, one of the girls walked up to Harriet and whispered something in her ear. Harriet gave a little nod before looking at me. "Looks like your friends decided to follow us after all."

"You thought right, slintheads!" We heard. Next thing that happened was that the Gladers surrounded the girls while a few got their weapons ready. I looked around to see Minho in the middle. Newt by his side. My heart leaped out of my chest as I looked at Newt. I knew he'd come. Next to Newt was Tony, his shoulder all bandaged by a few ripped cloth, the arrow out of him. Oh, thank god. "Now give us back Thomas and Tiger!"

Harriet raised her brow. "Is that suppose to scare us or something? Last time I checked, there's still a lot of us and a very few of you."

Newt spoke up. "Look, we're not here to fight. We just want our friends back."

Sonya pulled Harriet back and spoke in whispers. Newt's gaze found mine and I gave him a little nod, signaling that I was alright. If it wasn't for all the weapons, I would have ran over and tackled him in a hug. Sure, they were ordered not to kill me, but that doesn't mean they could inflict physical pain. Like an arrow to the knee or something.

Sonya and Harriet nodded before making their way over. "Ok," Sonya said. "How about a trade? You give us Aris, you can have Danny."

"And Thomas," Brenda snapped.

Harriet nodded. "Fine. I can't stand him anyway. Give us Aris and you could have Danielle and Thomas." Minho and Newt exchanged a look. Something's wrong. "Well?"

"Creepy guy isn't with us," Tony said.

"What?" Sonya asked.

"That little slug slipped away from us." Tony scanned the crowd. A little smirk came to his face. "And something tells me your leader isn't here. Looks like we were all played."

"No. Aris wouldn't do something like that." The girls nodded their heads at Sonya's statement.

Minho scoffed. "Right, and Teresa doesn't want to kill all of us. That's why they call her The Betrayer." He looked at Newt. "Tell me, what did Aris' tattoo say?"

"The Partner," Newt answered. "He's helping Teresa. I knew there was something about him I didn't like."

Minho rolled his eyes. "Right, because the way he's been undressing Tiger with his eyes has got nothing to do with it."

"Aris wouldn't do that," one of the girls said.

Jorge nodded. "That's what they said about Teresa, now look at her."

Sonya looked at me. "So, all those things you guys said were true. This really is a test." I threw my hands up in the air in a finally motion. She looked at Harriet. "What did we do?"

"We were just following orders," Harriet defended. "I should have never listen to her. Girl was crazy the minute she came. I felt it in my gut, but chose to ignore it." She looked around Group B. "Lower your weapons."

I sighed in relief before running towards the Gladers. I made a dash towards Newt, who already had his arms out wide before I crashed into him. I held onto him tight as he kissed the top of my head and brought my close.

"You ok?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, I am now."

The moment was ruined when Minho opened his mouth. "Hey, lovebirds, get a room. Oh, wait. You can't."

Newt and I pulled apart. I glared at Minho while I'm sure Newt's giving him a look. Excuse me for hugging my boyfriend.

》》》》

A/N: Another update.

Only five more chapters left until this book is finished then we can start Always and Forever.