Nineteen

I have to go back. I have to make sure my friends are ok. But I can't. Not while I'm freaking losing my mind. I just kept walking. I don't know where I was going, but it has to be far away.

Chuck kept running around me, laughing, while I walked. "You left them. You left them. You really really left them."

"Would you just shut up for two seconds?!" I snapped. Chuck looked at me with wide eyes before his lip started to quiver. Tears began pooling his eyes and he started crying. I dropped to my knees and wrapped him in a hug. "I'm sorry, Chucky. I'm sorry."

"You yelled at me," he cried. "You never yelled at me."

I tried to sooth him. "I know. I'm sorry. I'm just tired. And this heat isn't helping." I looked back at our pathway. "Maybe we should head back."

I went to stand up, but Chuck grabbed my wrist. "You can't. You saw the way they looked at you. You're turning into one of them. Tho - Those Cranks. Do you really want your friends see you turn into Jorge?" I shook my head. "Do you want Newt watch you lose your mind?"

I shook my head. "I don't want them to."

"Then we have to keep going."

"And where exactly are we heading off to?"

Chuck gave me a sick grin. "We're gonna kill you."

》》》》

I didn't say a word the whole walk. Chuck left me a while ago, but his words kept echoing in my head. We're gonna kill you. It's been replaying in my head over and over again. I'm going crazy, but that doesn't mean I want to die. But I don't want to kill my friends once I'm passed the Gone.

I kept breathing heavily as I dropped down. I laid on my back and closed my eyes, ignoring the heat beating down on me. I should have packed some food, grabbed some water. I need to find shelter quick before I'm barbecued. But it feels so good to just lay here and give up, even if it's just for a moment. Just give up and die here.

I opened my eyes and sat up. I can't give up. I might be losing my shuck mind, but that doesn't mean I should give up. Even if I don't get to the safe haven at least I know the Gladers did. This is my new life now, I need to live to the fullest.

I was so into thought that I didn't hear footsteps behind me. "Well, well, well, what do we have here?"

I quickly turned around and got up. There were five people standing there, a few had weapons in their hands. I wanted to puke at the sight of them. Most of them had bald patches in their hair like if they kept pulling it out. Two of them gave me a wicked grin that shows me their black and yellow teeth, a few missing. One of them had a little goatee and was kinda buff. He looked even more intimidating with the machete in his hand. Must be the leader.

The girl behind him started to giggle. "Ooh, she's a pretty one. I love her nose." She gave the bald guy a puppy dog look. "Can I have her nose?"

The guy smiled at her. "As long as I keep those eyeballs of hers." What's up with these Cranks and eyeballs?

I started to back away. "How about I keep my eyeballs and we just forget that we met?" I held my finger up in fake confusion. "I think I heard my name being called."

Baldy laughed before looking towards the group. "Cute and funny. Maybe we should keep her as a pet?" The Cranks behind him started to cheer. They held their weapons up and hollered. The bald guy looked at me, his smile more sickening. "Grab her."

I turned to run, but one of the Cranks grabbed the back of my hair and pulled me back. I yelled as I felt a pair of hands grab my arms. I brought my head up and, with as much force as possible, I headbutted my captors chin. I heard a crunch sound, followed by a groan. I brought my leg up to the side and kicked the first Crank in the shin before hooking the neck one on his side. When I got free, I started running.

"Get her!" One yelled.

I ran down the sandy hill. I kept hearing their cheers and catcalls as they chased after me. Like if this is some sick game of theirs. I heard their machetes clanking together. I lost my footing and toppled over. I kept grunting as the sand kept covering me with each roll. I finally made to a complete stop and spit the dirt that appeared in my mouth.

"I'm cut off her tongue the first chance I get!" The female Crank hollered.

"I'm eating one of her toes and make her do a funny dance!" Another yelled.

"You guys have no idea what I'm going to make her do when I get my hands on her!"

I quickly got up and started running again. I'm not going to die. Not by these Cranks. I kept looking back. These Cranks are gaining up on me. I ignored the pain from my legs and moved faster. I'm a Runner. I can outrun these shanks.

"Elle!" I heard Chuck yell. I skid to a stop to see him motioning me to come. "Over here."

I didn't even question him. I made my way towards him. He pointed up ahead and I see nothing but a big sewage pipe.

I shook my head. "I'm not going in there."

"Let's put a collar around her," the bald Crank piped up.

I looked at Chuck. "There's a first time for everything."

And it looks dry, there shouldn't be anything in there. I ran towards the pipe and jumped up. I was wrong. There's still some sewer water in here, but I rather face that than these Cranks. I ignored the disgusting smell and ran further in. The pipe line is long. Each turn I made somehow brought me back to the Maze. That's what this is. A huge Maze.

Right. Left. Left. Straight.

I thought I got rid of them, but I heard their laughter echoing behind me. Shit. Shit. Shit. I made another left, but came to a complete stop. The path was blocked be a gate. I gripped the gate and started to shake it, hoping that the pipes were rusted enough for me to make a little didn't. But luck wasn't on my side.

"Psst, Elle," Chuck whispered. I looked towards him to see him under this little opening. "In here."

I looked back towards my only exit, those Cranks are not that far behind me. I held my breath and crawled under. I felt my arms and legs getting cut from the corners, but I ignored it. I pulled myself out of it and was greeted be a ladder. Oh, sweet sweet, Jesus, an escape route.

"Up here," Chuck said.

I grabbed the ladder and started climbing up. I could see the little light. I'm just a few feet there, until I felt something grab my ankle and pulled me back down. I landed on the hard sewage floors with a hard thud. I heard a few snickers and felt myself being hauled up. I opened my eyes to see the girl laughing while handing the bald leader this weird looking bat with spikes. The leader used the bat and tilted my head up.

"Now the fun can start."