Twenty-Three

It didn't take Tony that long to get us into this secret place. He knocked on the door and one of those shuck bouncers came to the door. Tony gave him a little bag as an entry fee. You think the bag would have money, but the small bag was lumpy and had blood dripping down. I shivered at the thought of what could be inside. Eyeballs? Tongue? A guys'....never mind. I don't want to know.

I looked around the place. A few Cranks surrounding a table, some dressed in some fancy looking clothes, the others look like they ripped the fabric off. There was a small growl before one Crank ran towards her friend. Tony and I had to step back to avoid the impact as the girl and the guy crashed on the table.

"Stay close to me at all times, ok?" Tony said.

I nodded. "Got it."

"Let's watch another one," Chuck said happily as the girl started pounding on her friend.

The guy started to laugh as the girl bashed her fist against his teeth. Blood started coming out of his mouth as he kept laughing.

Newt gave a little nod of approval. "Looks like fun."

I grabbed the both of them by their shirts and pulled them back. "How about no?"

"Come on, Danny. You and I both know you could take those little buggers."

Chuck let out an exciting gasp. "Are you going to fight them?"

"No," I objected quickly. "I'm not facing any of those slintheads."

Tony suddenly turned around. "Hey. You need to blend in. And you talking to your imaginary friends isn't helping. "

I raised my eyebrow at him. I can't help it that Chuck and Newt appear out of nowhere. To be honest, this is the most peaceful they have ever been. At least I haven't got in trouble because of them.

I looked around the place. The smell of a rotting corpse fills the air. I held back a gag when I saw one of the Cranks use the corner as the bathroom. People kept dancing like they were some kind of animal. I felt my shoulder bump into someone.

"Excuse me," I mumbled, not even bothering to look up.

Tony and I went further into the room. There was a small stage up against the wall as some fat Crank sat on some throne looking seat. "Is that Wade?"

Tony shook his head. "No, that's one of his...friends." He gestured his head towards some bulk Crank, eyeliner game strong, that was walking towards his friend. "That's Wade."

Wade's friend stood up and gestured for Wade to sit down. Wade gave a cocky smile to his friend while patting his back. Then, he pulled a small knife from his plaid coat and stabbed the guy in the chest. I jumped at the sound of his flesh tearing. The guard started laughing before he dropped to the ground. Great.

Another Crank came on the stage with a trumpet. Or at least that's what I think it is. She placed her fingers on the buttons and held them down before blowing. I covered my ears from the off-pitch the sound was making. Every Crank in the building stopped what they were doing and looked at Wade. Wade motions his hands out wide as he took in the crowd.

"Friends. Guests. Unwelcome sons of bitches. Tonight has come for the big auction," he began. "Last night was...whoo." He started fanning himself. "Who knew a chunk of hair would cause an all-out brawl. Am I right?" The Cranks started to cheer and holler, making Wade laugh. He motioned one of the girls to come up. She did a little strip tease while she held up a jar of...teeth. "These pearly whites were from one of them."

I furrowed my eyebrows as I leaned closer to Tony. "Who's them?"

Tony didn't break his gaze from the stage. "Munies." Munies? "Basically, it's what us Cranks call the people who are immune to the Flare. Really rare to the people among us. Worth a lot dead or alive."