Ten

"Everyone pack in tighter," Minho said. "And get ready to fight these shanks the first sign of trouble."

If I wasn't so focused on the mysterious runners I would have given Minho a look. "Yes, because two runners will want to pick a fight with a group of people," I said sarcastically.

The runners closed in on us. From what I could make out, it's a man and woman. They were covered in their own wrappings. When they stopped in front of us, they leaned down and panted. They're insane if they ran over here in this heat. I grabbed my water bag and went over. I offered them some, but the woman shook her head and pushed it away.

"Who are you?" Minho asked. They didn't answer. "Who are you?"

They didn't answer. The runners split up and started circling us. They never broke their stare from us. The one time we need our weapons. The strangers stopped behind us and stood still.

"There are a whole lot of us than there are of you," Minho said in frustration. "Start talking. Tell us who you are."

"We're Cranks," The woman responded. Her voice sounded like if she was drowning.

My mouth flew open. Minho pushed his way in front of the group. "Cranks? Like the ones that tried to break into our building a couple of days ago?" Would these people even know what he's talking about?

"We're Cranks," The guy huffed. He pointed at all of us. "We came to see if you're Cranks. Came to see if you got the Flare."

Minho raised his eyebrow at us. These shanks know something. Maybe they can help us, because Rat Man sure won't. I pushed my way forward. "You guys know about the Flare?" The man nodded. "Some guy said we got it. Can you tell us anything you know about it?"

"Don't matter," He responded, but it sounded muffled through the cloth. "You got it, you'll know soon enough."

Newt came next to me. "Well, what do you bloody want? What's it matter to you if we're Cranks or not?"

The woman ignored him and asked questions of her own. "How'd you get in the Scorch? Where'd you come from? How'd you get here?"

"How about you answer our questions first?" I retorted.

Minho pulled the back of my collar and made his way over to Thomas. "Now is not the time to release you inner tiger, Tiger," Minho whispered before looking at Thomas. "What should we tell them?"

Thomas shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know. The truth? It can't hurt."

"The truth?" Minho said sarcastically. "What an idea, Thomas. You're freaking brilliant, as usual." He looked at the Cranks. "We were sent by WICKED. Came out of a hole just a little while that way, from a tunnel. We're suppose to go one hundred miles to the north, cross the Scorch. Any of that mean a thing to you?"

I sighed. Damn it, Minho. At least leave some details out. Not that it mattered anyway. They ignored him. Ok, does being a Crank automatically make them rude?

"Not all Cranks are gone," The guy said. "Not all of them are past the Gone." The Gone? "Different ones at different levels. Best you learn who to make friends with and who to avoid. Or kill. Better learn right quick if you're coming our way." Then what would that make them? Do you befriend them, avoid them, or kill them? I seriously hope it's not the latter.

"What's your way? You came from that town, right? Is that where all these Cranks live? Is there food and water there?" Minho asked.

I would be asking questions, too. But we have a deadline. These Cranks aren't going to help us. They started circling us again until they were towards the town.