Thirty-Three

I can't stand being around Group B for any longer. I get that they changed their minds about us, but nothing is really happening. They're acting like nothing is happening, just another day in the Glades. Another day in the Maze. Except things are different this time. We're not running from Grievers, we're not trying to find a way to escape a death trap called the Maze. No, we're trying to find the safe haven. Along the way, we met up with Cranks and I've been losing my freaking mind. Only to find out that WICKED is responsible for it.

Thomas and I have been staying in the back of the group during the walk. As long as I'm next to Thomas, I could at least try to protect him. I'm worried about the Gladers, about Tony. Jorge and Brenda. Are they alright? Did anything happen to them? Are they following us?

"I can't take it anymore," I whispered to Thomas. He slowly looked at me. "Once we settle down for camp, we're leaving. Wait till everyone is sleeping, take some of their food, then find the others."

"We can't," Thomas protested. "They have arrows -"

I felt up my bat. "I've got a bat." I swung it around. "I'd like to see them reach for an arrow before I whack them with this."

Thomas furrowed his brows at the bat. "And that's the bat you smashed a Crank's head with?" I nodded. Thomas body shook. "Man, I hate to be that guy."

"Or those girls." I looked up at the scorching sun, hand covering my eyes. "Doesn't look like it'll be long."

"Dan, think about it," Thomas started. "We don't know where we're going. If we do, somehow, manage to escape, what then? We don't know where our friends are?" He licked his lip as he looked at Group B before looking at me again. "I get you're worried. I am, too. Teresa basically signed their death wish."

"And yours."

"Doesn't matter. We're better off with them, just for now."

No, we're not. We're not better off with the group that is trying to kill my friend. Thomas is right about this maybe being a test from WICKED. If they really wanted him dead, they would have killed him by now.

"Fine," I responded. I twirled the bat around, "But I'll promise you one thing," I pointed the bat towards Teresa's figure, "the minute she drags your dead body out, I'm killing her."

I don't care if Teresa was my friend. I don't care if she did comfort me when I had my nightmares back at the bunker. She kills Thomas, I'm going to kill her. She kills or harms any one of my friends...she's dead.

》》》》

The group, Thomas, and I were walking through the mountain pass all night. Someone shouted that we reached the end of the Pass. Thomas and I pushed our way towards the front to see what's so special about the Pass.

My eyes widen when we were greeted with nothing. Absolutely nothing. Nothing but dirt and flat lands that stretched out for miles and miles. But we're wasn't anything that could be close to a sign of the safe haven. How the hell are we a few miles away from it?

"Maybe we just can't see it," one girl said.

"Yeah," Harriet said. "It might be just another entrance to one of their underground tunnels. I'm sure it's there."

Sonya came up next to her. "How many more miles do you think we have left?"

"Can't be more than ten." Harriet squinted her eyes as she scans the area. "More like seven or eight. I thought we'd come out over here and we'd see a nice big building with a smiley face on it."

I sighed as I bask in the darkness. "Well, nothing to do now than to keep heading north." I smirked at Harriet. "And you guys thought WICKED was going to make this easier for you."

It's WICKED. They'll make the restrooms a challenge to use. I could picture it now, if you need to use the bathroom then you need to run through this icy field until you find a safe haven. And no using it while you're on the run.

Harriet glared at me, but Sonya cut her off. "Sounds like a good idea. Maybe we an make it to the bottom of the mountain by sunrise. Sleep on flat ground."

A few other girls agreed. My smirk growing at Harriet's annoyed look. We were just about to set off, but Thomas spoke up. "Where's Teresa?"

I turned around and gave him a confused look. Then I scanned the group to find the bitch nowhere. Where did she go? Not that I care or anything. I don't want her to plan another ambush and have her triple-cross us.

"At this point, I don't really care," Harriet answered. "If she's a big enough girl to go runnin' around when she doesn't get her way, she's big enough to catch up and find us when she gets over it. Come on."

So we followed. For once, I'm glad I didn't see her.

》》》》

Now, I was worried about Thomas. He wanted to by alone and stayed in the back of the group again. I kept glancing at him once a while to make sure he's ok. He hasn't spoken a word at all since we started coming down the hill. My legs were burning though.

"Your boyfriends fine," Sonya said, breaking the silence. "He is a bit weird though."

My eyes snapped at her. "Thomas isn't my boyfriend."

"Oh, I'm sorry. It's just the way you're watching him and keep glancing at him -"

"I'm just looking out for my friend. You guys are trying to kill him, remember?"

"Because that's what we were told to do. I mean, if the roles were reversed and your group had to kill one of us...would you do it?"

"No," I answered in a heartbeat. "We would have found another way."

Which is true. I mean if this was the Glade and Gally was in charge, maybe not, but with my friends...I just know we would have found another way. No one has to die, we could have figured something out.

"And my boyfriend's Newt," I said after a moment of silence.

Sonya was surprised. "Really? If anything, if it wasn't Thomas, I would have thought it was that guy who got the arrow to the shoulder."

"Tony?" I shook my head. "No. He's my protector."

Ok, now she looked confused. "Protector? Of what?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know. Ever since I met him, he just said that he was suppose to protect me."

Harriet scoffed. "What a great job he's doing," she said sarcastically.

"Actually..." I trailed off. Tony did save me from those Cranks that tried to eat me. And even though he sold me, he did help get rid of my hallucinations. Not only that, he tried to push the Gladers back when they got to close with me. "He's doing a great job."

Which is true.

"And if you don't mind me asking...why did that one guy call you Tiger?" Sonya asked. "Are tigers your favorite animal or something?"

I chuckled. Oh, the memory coming back. "That is one funny story because -" I glanced back towards Thomas only to find his space empty. I stopped as I scanned the crowd for the guy. But he wasn't here. "Guys?" I looked at Sonya and Harriet, my blood boiling. "Where the hell is Thomas?"

》》》》

A/N: Reunion next chapter!!! 😆😆😆🐯