Thirty-Two

When Thomas wakes up, I need to tell him that he sleep talks. Or sleep mumble. He's always mumbling something when he was asleep. Sonya and Harriet offered me some trail mix. Sonya, I gladly accepted it. I'm more closer to her than Harriet. They both kept looking back at Thomas and me, weird looks on their face.

I was getting tired of it. "Why won't you take a picture, it'll last longer."

Sonya shushed me. "Not so loud." She looked behind her. "Look, Teresa's been gone for over an hour to see if your friends have been following us."

"They probably have. Some are just good at hiding, she'll never see them."

Harriet glared at me. "We're being serious. We want to know everything you and Thomas know."

I gave her a skeptical look. "And why should we help you? Last thing I remember is that you kidnapped us and the other chick out an arrow in my friend's shoulder. My friend is possibly dying or is already dead no thanks to your leader."

"I'm sorry about that," Sonya said. "If it was up to us, we would have let him come."

I motioned towards Thomas. "And what about him? If you guys hear our side of the story, does that mean you'll have second thoughts about killing him? And are you guys finally going to tell me why I'm here?"

Harriet smirked at me. "Don't go jumping to conclusions. And don't think we've gone all righteous. Let's just say we have our doubts and want to talk - but your odds are slim."

Sonya slowly nodded. "The smartest thing right now seems to be to do what we were told. There are a lot more of us than you."

"Because I don't have my bat," I retorted. "I bet I could kick your guys' ass with it. Bash a few heads in and make you Crank chow."

Harriet pulled something from behind her. She held up my bat. "You mean this?" She started inspecting it. "Nice weapon of choice. Wouldn't want to be a guy if I got hit with this."

"Depends where we're getting hit," Thomas said tiredly. He blinked a few times till he was fully awake. "All though, getting hit with that would cause immense pain. I'd still pick that than get myself killed.

"Don't be a jerk," Sonya said.

"Then don't listen to the bitch," I sassed back.

"I'm being serious. If either of you could choose, and the two options were you die or all of us die, which one would you pick? This is all about you or us."

"I'd find another way," I answer instantly. "There's always another way without someone dying."

Harriet rolled her eyes. "Easy for you to say. This isn't some fairytale. People die. His life is on the line, of course you would choose to save him."

"Well, what if it's some sort of test," Thomas piped up. "Maybe you're not suppose to kill me. Maybe Dan's here to be my body guard." Thomas licked his lips. "Maybe we should share what we know, figure something out."

Sonya and Harriet exchanged a long look. I crossed my fingers behind me back and prayed that they took our side. I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding when Sonya finally nodded.

Harriet said, "We've had our doubts about this whole thing from the beginning. Something about it isn't right. So yeah, you better talk. But let us get everybody over here first." They stood up and went to get the others.

"You better hurry," I said. "Before Teresa gets back."

Or at least give me my bat to whack her with it.

》》》》

I feel like a little kid when Group B came and sat in a circle around Thomas and me. They still didn't even untie us.