Twenty-Nine

No. No, this is some sort of trick. Teresa isn't here. She isn't carrying a spear that could kill us while walking towards the Gladers. Tony stood in front of me, trying to block my view of her. I knew she was alive. I just knew it.  I thought she would be happy to see us, but her face was as hard as a rock. Showing no emotion. Actually...she looked like she was ready to attack anyone who dared to move. Thomas started to move towards her but stopped. I furrowed my brows when I see more people walking behind her. Not just people, more girls.

I looked around. More girls started to surround us. They all had weapons in their possession; knives, swords, machetes, a shucking bow and arrow. Wait, is this Group B. Aris did say that he got separated from his group.

"Get your bat ready," Tony whispered. His gaze never leaving Teresa's.

I gulped as I held the bat tightly. How much damage could one bat do to a group of twenty girls? Teresa and the group stopped at least thirty feet away from us. Their weapons never lowering. The ones holding the bows could launch their arrows and bye bye us.

"What's this crap about, Teresa?" Minho spoke first, breaking the silence. "Nice way to greet your long-lost buddies."

Teresa didn't speak. She, alone, walked towards us until she stopped a few feet away from Minho and Newt.

"Teresa?" Newt asked. "What the bloody -"

"Shut up," she said. "Any of you move, the bows start shooting."

Then she held her spear up to a fighting position. I gripped my bat tightly as she walked through the Gladers. Her gaze found mine. The girl who comforted me in the bunker is long gone. I just see this complete stranger that's ready to attack us. Soon enough, her gaze met Brenda's. None of them said a word, but you could see them glaring at them. Clearly not liking the other. Teresa's icy stare never left as she continued through the crowd. I had this feeling in my gut. I know what she wants. Who she wants.

I was right when she stopped in front of Thomas. His mouth as agape. He looked like he wanted to hug her.

"Teresa," he whispered. Teresa didn't say anything. "Teresa, what's -"

"Shut up," she commanded. What the hell is wrong with her?

"But what -"

Teresa swung the butt of the spear. It collided with Thomas's face and he fell on the ground. The protective side of me didn't think. I went over to her.

"Teresa!" I yelled. 

When she turned around I punched her cheek. Teresa fell on the ground. I was about to attack again, but an arrow went flying. I jumped back before it hit the ground. I held my bat up at the archer, who got another arrow ready.

"Don't!" Teresa commanded as she stood. "Not this time. If she moves, aim for her head."

"Teresa!" Thomas protested.

She straightened herself before pointing the spear at him. "Is your name Thomas?"

His eyes widen. "You know who I -" Teresa swung again with more force. I could see it collide near Thomas's ear. I tried to move, but the archer raised her eyebrow at me. Daring me to move so she could put an arrow in me. "You know who I am!"

"I used to, anyway. Now I'm going to ask you one more time. Is your name Thomas?"

"Yes! My name is Thomas!"

Teresa nodded and backed away from him. The Gladers moved out of the way as she walked back towards the group.

"You're coming with us," Teresa called out. Then she turned again. This time her gaze settled on me. "You, too. And remember, anyone tries something, the arrows fly."

Tony grabbed my arm. His glare intensifying. "No way! You can take the boy, but you're not getting her."

Teresa stood her ground. "This isn't some stupid game. I'm going to start counting. Every time I hit a multiple of five, we'll kill one of you."

My eyes widen. "Are you shucked in the head or something?!"

She ignored my outburst. "We'll do it until Thomas and the girl are the only ones life, then we'll take them away. It's up to you." Aris started looking around. He took in the whole group as his mouth flew open. So, this is Group B. "One!"

Thomas pushed his way through the crowd, ignoring the Gladers' protest. He kept walking until he was nose to nose with Teresa. What the hell is he doing? I get that he's happy to see her, but this is not the time to do something stupid.

"Fine," he said. "Take me. But you leave Dan out of this."

"No," she denied. "She comes with us." She looked at the Gladers. "Two!" I bit my lip. "Three!" Ok, if I don't go. Someone is going to die. I don't know if the arrow might hit Minho or Newt, but I'm not going to put their life on the line. "Four!"

I pushed my way out of the group, my hands raised in the air. "All right. I'll go."

"Tiger, no," Minho said.

I looked at him. My gaze met Newt's, who slowly shook his head. "I'll be fine." I turned around and walked towards the group. "You want me. Here I am."

"You can say we're brave like that," Thomas tried to joke.

Teresa was about to swing at him, but I brought my bat up and deflected her attack. Then I swung the bat around, knocking the spear out of her hands before I caught it with my free hand. To be honest, I didn't know I could do that.

"We're already coming with you. And if you even think about laying a spear or weapon at him, you'll have to kill me first," I sneered. We're away from the Gladers, the least I can do is protect Thomas.

"Fine," Teresa said with little emotion. She nodded toward the dark-skinned girl, hair almost cut to her scalp, and her friend. "Bring the bag for him." Then she looked at the blonde. "Tie her up."

The blonde came over with a rope in her hands. She stopped in front of me before taking my bat and spear before tying my hands together. She handed Teresa her spear.

"Just do what she says," the blonde whispered. "We don't want to hurt you."

I didn't say anything to her. The girl sighed before grabbing my arm. Teresa nodded at her before hitting Thomas on his head, knocking him on the ground. The girl with the bag began pulling his body in.

"Hey!" I yelled.

Teresa ignored me and glared down at the boys. "We're taking them with us! If anybody follows, I'll hit him again and we'll shoot you. We won't really bother aiming. Just let the arrows fly any old way they feel like."

Minho looked at her with righteous fury. "Teresa! You catch the Flare that quickly? Your mind's obviously gone already."

Just like she said, Teresa brought her spear up and hit Thomas again. I glared at her and tried to move, but the blonde grabbed my arm tight in warning.

"Teresa!" Thomas's yelled through the bag. "Don't do this!"

Teresa glared down at the bag before punching his stomach, at least I hope that's where it was.

Teresa rose. "Since you obviously don't care about yourself, talk again and we'll start shooting your friends. That sound good to you?" The Flare obviously gotten to her.

Tony pushed his way through the crowd. "If you're taking her, take me, too."

"Why?" The girl holding the bag said.

"It's my job to protect her. Wherever she goes, I go."

Teresa looked at the girls. A few exchanging glances. Teresa nodded at one of them. Part of me wanted to sigh in relief, but that was short lived when another girl with the bow launched her arrow. It went flying past the Gladers and lodged itself in Tony's shoulder.

"Tony!" Jorge yelled as he and Brenda went up to catch him.

"I meant what I said!" Teresa yelled at the Gladers. "There won't be a warning. Follow us and the arrows start flying."

》》》》

A/N: All right people, only 10 chapters until this book is finished...maybe less.