Thirty-Six

I could see Thomas' confusion. I could see the rage that threatens to come out. I would be the same, too. Shuck, I still am. All that work, all those people who died to make it to the safe haven. Just to find out that it's a little stick on the ground. We only have forty minutes  left, so all we have to do is wait. Which is what I hate. I have this feeling in my gut that something bad is going to happen. And it's WICKED, so of course they have a few tricks up their sleeve.

The only part that made my evening was Teresa and Brenda's little stare down. It's really obvious that it's over Thomas. I would have picked Teresa, but since that shuckface of a traitor did that to us, I'm going with Brenda. Yeah, team Brenda. Brenda might be a Crank with Jorge and Tony, but she helped us the most than Teresa. I don't care if Teresa was my friend, I'm not going to hide the hate I have for her. Even Minho agreed.

Newt, Tony, Minho, Frypan, and I were just sitting on the ground just waiting. For what? We don't know. The sky kept getting darker as if a storms coming, but I haven't seen any lightning bolts...at least not yet. Thomas waltz right over and joined us.

"Hey, Tommy," Newt greeted. Thomas wrapped his arms around his knees as I let out a sigh. Newt pulled me closer  as I laid my head on his shoulder, my hand intertwining our fingers. My other hand resting on the bat in case Teresa tries something.

"Glad to see you guys made it here," Thomas said. His eyes not looking at me, yeah, I'm pissed at him, too.

"Well, what exactly happened?" Minho asked. "Tiger gave us the gist of it, but we want to hear it from you. How can you trust that traitor after all that?"

Then he told us what happened after me and him separated. He was hesitant at first, but we've got another hour to kill. He told us about the gas chamber. My skin crawled a bit. Teresa and Aris actually kissing. That's just disgusting in general. I don't care if it didn't mean anything, but that must be terrifying for Thomas to watch.

"And you forgave that witch?" Minho asked when Thomas finished. "I won't. Whatever those shuck WICKED people wanna do, fine by me. Whatever you wanna do, fine by me. But I don't trust her, I don't trust Aris, and I don't like either one of them."

I nodded. "The only decent one is Sonya." I made up my mind a long time ago. If we had to save one person from Group B, it's going to be her. I looked at Tony. "How's your shoulder?"

Tony tried to move his shoulder, but winced. "Still hurts."

Newt scoffed. "I'm sure it does. We had to pull that buggin' thing out of you." He looked at Thomas. "And this doesn't make any bloody sense. They went through all that - all that acting and planning - just to make you feel betrayed?"

"Tell me about it," Thomas muttered. "And no, I haven't forgiven her. But for now I think we're in the same boat. What about you guys? How'd you make it here?"

Minho began telling the story. "Well, after Cranky here," he pointed towards Tony, "stopped screaming like a shucking Banshee, we found a gap through the mountains. Had to fight through some Cranks camping in a cave, but other than that, no problem. Food and water's almost out, though. And my feet hurt. And I'm pretty sure another big bolt of shuck lightning's about to come down and make me look like a piece of Frypan's bacon."

I groaned as my head tilted back. "Man, Frypan's bacon sounds good right about now."

"We could just eat Minho if he gets struck," Tony suggested. The group and I have him a look, which he just shrugged his shoulders. "What? You guys never had burnt flesh before." This time I gave him a what the hell look. "It's not as bad."

"We're not eating Minho," I said. I got more comfortable next to Newt. "But you can eat Teresa if lighting strikes her."

"How about no one eats anyone," Thomas said before looking around the place. "Shouldn't we find shelter and bag this whole safe haven thing."

Newt shook his head. "No way. We didn't come this far to go back now. Let's just hope the buggin' storm holds off a little longer."

The rest of us stayed quiet. I felt my eyes getting droopy. I was really comfortable, all I want to do is sleep. But I couldn't get that when Minho started shouting.

He pointed behind Thomas as he jumped up to his feet. "What's that?!"

Newt and I stood up. The bat tightening around my hand. About thirty feet away from us, a large part of the desert ground was opening. Yeah, actually opening. As the ground started to disappear something else replaced it. This rotating square rose from the ground and had this weird object inside. It looked...it looked a lot like a Griever. It wasn't even one. There was a dozen of them. But that wasn't the worst part.

They started to open up. The metal coffin started to squeal as they open, making everyone cover their ears. More desert ground started to disappear and more Griever-like coffins took their place. Now instead of a dozen, there was thirty.