Twenty-Four

Thomas, Minho, Newt, and I had our backs against the wall of the building. Thomas looked around the corner before signaling us that the close was clear before we ran. Newt didn't let go of my hand, not once. Every time I would try to pull away, he would grasp my hand more tightly to make sure I don't run away from them.

"How did you guys find me?" I asked after a while.

"Wasn't easy," Thomas started.

Minho nodded. "Yeah, we looked all over the Scorch for his shuckface first along with his new girlfriend. Jorge was keeping a look out and said someone spotted a hot brunette with someone. Said we didn't know any hot brunette until it hit me...it's gotta be Tiger."

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks, Minho. Nice to know how I look in your perspective."

"Anytime." We started walking along the empty streets. "I mean, be glad you're still in our thoughts. Considering you left us."

"Minho," Newt and Thomas scolded him.

Minho kept going. "What? She left us." He started walking backwards while talking to Newt. "Remember how confused you got? Do you want to tell her how worried you were? Why did she leave? This isn't like her? Did either of you know that she was losing her shucking mind?"

"Oi," Newt defended himself. "I never said that."

"You were thinking it though." Minho looked at me. "So, Danielle, mind catching us up on what we miss? Like why do have that weird looking bat? Or better, why you left us?"

I glared at him. How am I going to explain that I've been going crazy? "I have the Flare," I mumbled. Ok, that works.

That made the boys stop in their tracks. "What? How do you know?" Newt asked.

"Because I just know."

Minho crossed his arms. "Care to elaborate?"

I groaned as I finally pulled my hand away from Newt's. "I'm going crazy, ok?! Everywhere I look, he's there. Constantly mocking me. Telling me that I should kill myself so I couldn't be like them, so we could be with each other again. He makes me want to rip my hair out until there's bald batches. He's been with us everywhere we go. Either eating his skin off or trying to bite mine off! No matter where I go he's there getting me in trouble until I'm on the brink of death! I couldn't take it anymore!"

Thomas slowly approached me, sadness in his eyes. "Who, Dan?"

My eyes became like glass as I looked at all of them. "Chuck." I let out a shaky breath as I ran my hand through my hair. "I've been hallucinating him. I thought I could deal with it, but...I just couldn't. I had to go. I didn't want to drag you guys down with me in case I do become like those Cranks."

I didn't want to go so far past the Gone that I would have the urge to kill my friends. I didn't want to become like Jonah, Wade, or any of those sickos.

"Well, that was bloody selfish of you," Newt mumbled. I opened my mouth. Thomas looked a bit uncomfortable in this situation while Minho smirked. Thomas, being a good friend, dragged Minho away to give us some privacy - ignoring his protest. "What you did was incredibly selfish."

"How was I being selfish?" I asked in defense. "I didn't want to hurt you guys or get you hurt...because of me."

Newt shook his head. "No, what it sounds like to me is excuses for you to give up. Give up and run away."

"Newt, I wasn't running away -"

"Then what were you doing?" He challenged. "Because the Danny I knew wouldn't do this. She would have told us what was going on and let us help her."

"You can't! Don't you get it? I'm sick. I'm a lost cause. You guys need to leave me and go find the Safe Haven. Get the cure and forget about me"

His brows furrowed. "Forget you? Why the bloody hell would I forget about you?" Newt placed his hands around my neck, thumbs rubbing my cheek. "I don't want to forget about you. How many times do I have to tell you I love you for you to see that?"

I shook my head. "Newt -"

Newt leaned down to capture our lips together, cutting me off. The softness of his lips, the familiarity, the safety it gives me is enough to make my legs go weak. My hands reached up to wrap themselves around his wrist to hold them there.

"Please, don't leave me, Danny," Newt breathed through the kiss. "Please."

I pulled away from him and wrapped my arms around him. My head laid on his shoulder as his arms circled around my waist, not letting go. We need to finish this how we started. Together.

"Never again."

》》》》

"Danielle!" Was the first thing I heard when Thomas, Minho, and I entered the bunker. It was barley daylight when we arrived and I was pretty tired.

A few Gladers had a few dry blood on them. I notice Jorge and Brenda on one side of the room, Brenda's gaze never leaving Thomas. What happened while I was gone?

Aris came up to us. "Finally, the hot one is back."

Thomas gave him an annoyed look. "Seriously?"

Suddenly, Frypan pulled me off the floor and spun me around. "Danster. Finally, I don't have to look at Thomas' ugly shuck face."

I started laughing at Thomas' offended look. "Nice, Fry."

Minho made his way through the crowd. "All right, listen up! Since Tiger is finally back, it's time we move out!" I rolled my eyes. On the way here, he explained how Jorge took the leadership role. I wasn't so shock that he suddenly wanted it back. "Easy choice. You stay here, you'll live. Come with us, you're pretty much dead."

"Shouldn't it be the other way around?" I asked.

Minho raised his eyebrow at me. "Did you want me to lie to them? That wouldn't be a good leader."

I sighed as I made my way over to a crate and sat down. I didn't realize how much my feet ache. Been up pretty much the whole day plus the walk back. I need a break or something.

"You alright, chica?" I heard Jorge ask.

I nodded. "Yeah, I just need to rest for a bit."

"No, are you alright?"

Did he know? "Not really, no."

Jorge gave me a little nod before patting my shoulder. "Don't worry, the worst is almost over."

I let out a small chuckle. "I sure hope you're right." Then he handed me a small canteen. "Thanks."

I took a small sip before handing it back to him. Some Gladers headed towards the door and I finally notice the weapons they carried. Knives. Machetes. How they got them is beyond me. Thomas gestured Brenda to go ahead, but she kept her gaze on the floor before exiting the building. What happened between them? My eyes found Newt's and he offered me a small smile. I returned it before taking another sip of water. When my head was tilted back, I noticed some lettering on the wall. I furrowed my brows as I tried to make them out.

Thomas, you're the real leader.

Has that always been there? Were there many more along this city? I probably didn't even realize it. I was about to take another sip of water when out of nowhere, there was this intense pain in my head. I dropped the canteen as I grabbed my head and started groaning. It's like a thousand of needles were stabbing my head. My vision became staticy as a figure rushed towards me. I don't know who it is, but I could see their mouth moving.

Then Chuck's maniac laughter filled my head. "They're coming, Elle," he said.

The pain intensified. I started yelling as I shut my eyes tight.

"Dan!" I heard.

"Danny!"

"Make it stop!" I yelled. "Make it stop!"

Then there was a loud pop.

》》》》

A/N: Special guest next chapter. I wonder who that could be? And what Glader should kick his ass?

*Not edited.*