Seven

All the Gladers woke up around 5 a.m. I don't know if it was because of nervousness or if they were anxious with Phase Two. Not like we have any choice in the matter. If we don't leave through the Flat Trans, then we're going to die here. Painfully.

We had everything packed. Frypan rationed what was left of our food to each Glader. I think he got excited to be in charge of something. For water, we got some plastic bags and filled it up from the bathroom sink. We had to use our bed sheets for packs.

It was 10 minutes till 6. 10 more minutes until this so-called Flat Trans would appear. That barrier that protected Rat Man came again in the middle of the night. I guess it's going to appear there.

Newt reached for my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. "You ready?"

I nodded. "Yeah, you?" He nodded.

Minho rolled his eyes. "You're ready. I'm ready. Let's just get this over with."

I gave him a look. "Really, Minho?"

"That's Chief to you."

"Are we really on this again?" Ever since we appointed him leader, it's been going to his shuck head.

"Yes, we're on this again. I am the leader." See what I mean. I opened my mouth to retort, but he looked towards the Gladers, his face serious. "We've got three minutes. Everybody sure they still wanna go?" Everyone nodded. "Anybody change their mind overnight? Speak now or never. Once we go wherever we're going, if some shank decides he's a sissy pants and tries to turn back, I'll make sure he does it with a broken nose and smashed privates." He glanced at me and smirked. "Or I'll unleash Tiger on you. Right, Tiger?"

I smiled towards the Gladers and cracked my knuckles. "Sure. Maybe I'll start with you."

Newt grabbed his head and groaned loudly. "Newt, you got a problem?" Minho asked sternly.

"Uh...no. Just admiring your bloody leadership skills," He said. This made me chuckle.

Minho pulled his shirt away from his neck. "What does that say, slinthead?"

Newt's face started to flush. I covered my mouth to hold back a laugh. "We know you're the boss, Minho. Slim it."

Minho pointed to Newt. "No, you slim it. We don't have time for that kind of klunk. So shut your hole."

I got in the middle of the boys. "How about you both slim it. We get it, you're pretty." I jabbed my finger on Minho's chest. "You may be leader, but I am the carrier. Don't know what it means, but something's telling me that I have to carry you to hell if this leader thing is going to klunk you in the head."

Minho and I had a stare down. I know he's trying to pull the tough act, but it must be hard for him if I see the corner of his lips twitching. Mine's are too. I wanted to laugh so bad at our banter.

"It's 6 o'clock!" One of the Gladers shouted.

We turned to see the invisible wall turn into this splotchy white wall. Then, just like that, it disappeared. This other wall appeared. It transformed into this flat, shimmering surface of murky, shadowy gray. It was like the wall was full of melted metal.

"Come on!" Minho yelled as he pulled the strap of his bag while gripping his water bag. "Don't mess around - we only have five minutes to get through. I'll go first." He pointed at Thomas. "You go last - make sure everyone follows me before you come."

Thomas nodded. Minho walked towards the metallic wall and stopped. I get it. This is like some kind of portal...one that could lead us to our doom. My chest started to pound fast while my palms started to sweat. This is it.